1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Enclosed Trailer ????

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TridentLM, Apr 22, 2005.

1. TridentLM

TridentLM LawnSite Member

I have been in business < 1yr & use 7*14 open trailer, the loading & unloading can take alot of time and energy. (the truck only carries yard debris) I rec'd funds @ a monthly cost of $93 for 36 months, to purchase a 6*12 Encl w/Single Axel. Based on current inventory of equip and the desire to grow business, is this a good investment and would I regert the choice w/in the next 6 - 12 months. I have followed similar threads and am looking for F/B.
  2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

if you think your going to grow out of the trailer then yes its a bad choice. I have a 6.5x10 open and its too small already and I'm just starting. I intend on getting at least a 14 or 16 footer mid season.

I'd say either keep saving and get a bigger enclosed if you feel you need it, or build your open trailer to be left loaded at night. I'm building a large 2'x2' box for the front of my small trailer as we speak to hold gas cans, blower and other equipment and my trimmers lock down plus the trailer is backed up to a tree so no one can get the mower off. i'd hate to downsize on a trailer, extra space is always needed.
  3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the enclosed, it will be worth it, i have a 6 by 12, it has shelves to carry everything from extra blades to snack food. I have water, a homemade urinal, you name it, plus I just back it in and make sure its locked and your done,,,,,,you don't have to worry about someone ripping you off. You will be able to focus on your jobs!! :)
  4. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I bought a 6 x !2 enclosed trailer (my first year). This year it is too small already. Wish it was at least 7 x 14, or bigger. Course then I'll probably need a bigger truck as well. I'm currently pulling the 6 x 12 with a Dodge Dakota V8 whick pulls it okay but won't take much extra weight in the box.
    Go with the biggest trailer you can afford. You will fill it up in no time.
  5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

If you can swing it enclosed are the way to go IMO. But a 6x12 I think is way too small but if you get a bigger one then another dilema comes into play, do you have something big enough to pull it? If yes then I would look into AT LEAST a 7x16. They all close up fast when loading it up full of equipment. I talked to over 5 companies in my area when I was looking for an enclosed and not one of them had anything under a 18ft. and they were packed full! :waving:
  6. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have considered an enclosed trailer as well and would like to get a 20 footer.

My only question would be around re-fueling my riders, walk behinds and gas cans.

Is this a problem or a PITA?

Please comment.

Thanks Very Much!
  7. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

you can get small fuel doors on enclosed trailer so you can bring the pump into the trailer...

Other wise I fill a couple of 5 gallons then fill the mowers then fill the jugs up again.... Is it a hassle? not really take an extra 5 minutes....
  8. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The small doors seem like a good add idea, but wouldn't you really need 2 people to fill the mowers, without the hoses falling on the ground? :D
  9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I currently have an 8 x 20 enclosed.

If I had it to do all over again I'd have started with an 8 x 22 enclosed.

Pay your money and get "Line-X" sprayed on the floor, ramp and 2' up on all the walls as well. That was the single best money I've spent since starting the business.
  10. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Line X on the floor?? Good idea. What did that cost???
    Tell me all about the advantages. I have 2 enclosed trailers and paint the floors with a commercial grade enamel mixed with fine sand for grip when wet.