1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Enclosed Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mow"N"Bud, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

I'm considering getting an enclosed trailer 7 X 16. The dealers around here carry Continental, Carry On, Haulmark, and Leonard. What pros and cons have any of you experienced with these trailer, and or pros and cons of enclosed trailers period.
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think you can go wrong with a Haulmark or Wells Cargo. I have a cheaper trailer (Interstate) and here are some of the things that have caused me grief in the first year.

• The jack stand sucks, it is hard to turn, has no grease zerk and always hangs up on the ball
    • The screws vibrate out of the door lock and are constantly getting lost
    • The cables on the ramp door are thinner and have frayed and broken
    • The rivets are not rivets at all but upon closer inspection are hex head screws that have come loose and some are missing
    • The joints where things come together looked good when I bought it but after a few months the caulk shrank and exposed bad joints
    • The spring mechanism on the ramp door was messed up and required service to recoil and adjust after I replaced a broken cable

These are some of the things I can recall. I will spend the extra money next time and get a better quality product. Stay away from Home Depot trailers even though the carry the same brand name as reputable company they have lowered the standards to meet H/D's pricing structure.
  3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

we have a 20ft Haulmark we tow our drag car with. It's a NICE trailer and tows really well. Would recommend it definetely.
  4. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 6x12 Haulmark set up for irrigation, it is much smaller than what you are looking for, but I can say that it is very well built.
    I agree with AZ gardener, you can't go wrong with Haulmark or Wells Cargo....I would steer clear of some of the other names, you definately do not want to go cheap on an enclosed trailer. Depending on your location I can give you the names of trailer dealers that sell both brands.
  5. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

That's what we have. Only I use it for just mowing. But it is set up to be a car hauler, with the heavy duty door. Been a great trailer.

Some of the cons are, fueling equipment, getting equipment, it's not muti-use like hauling mulch, etc...

But I love mine
  6. waterboy1

waterboy1 LawnSite Member
    from AL

I agree, Haulmark and WellsCargo are good. I did alot of searching and looking at about 6 or 7 different brands. To me the WellsCargo was the better one out of the two. But, I ended up getting a Pace Summit trailer mainly because it had two vents and two sets of inside lights in the trailer and already came with a shelf and weedeater and blower racks, plus had a cooler rack also. It also already had the plywood inside. I paid about the same as I could have gotten a plain haulmark or wellscargo for.

Make sure you look at them good also, they have good ways of covering things up also.

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I have the same one...

The only con I really have is that the screws on the HD ramp door (where you flip the little peice out so its level with the ground) are starting to fall out, same thing with the floor....

Other than that I love it.
  8. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I have a Pace. I would never want to go back to an open trailer.

I like the Pace, but if I had it to do over I would get the WellsCargo.
  9. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my first enclosed trailer this year, it is a 7x16 Wells Cargo Road Force. Excellent trailer so far. I put my own racks and smash boards along the bottom which only took about three hours to put together with the help of a carpenter friend. I have loved the enclosed trailer. I can see a decrease in the amount of spark plugs I replace, no sun fading, and I dont have people eyening my equipment when I drive by.
  10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Haulin by Haulmark...and we love it.