Enclosed Trailer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ACE, Mar 20, 2007.

1. ACE

ACE LawnSite Member

I'm not new to the business but would like thoughts from the real pro's. Im active duty Airfore and cut on the side, several years now. Im thinking 7x14 or 16 trailer. Reasons out of weather, THEFT, less cost than box truck, insurance, etc. Any ideas on brand of trailers or things I should watch out for when buying one. Equipment, Lazer HP 48" maybe a new Walker and standard lawn equipment. Thanks for any advice.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got a Dolittle and one thing i liked was the side panels inside were pretty heavy plywood so you can mount tracks directly to it. We have the drop axle that is around 1800 load and I would get heavy load carrying if possible. You obvious need a drop down door in back. We prefer the 6' wide trailer because it is easier to see around.
  3. PhillyShells

PhillyShells LawnSite Member

Here are some manufacturers - you can go on their websites and check them out. Pace American, Haulmark, Featherlite, American Hauler, Thule
    Dont have any info on which is better though......
  4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i have a pace its great, if your running 61" mowers the rear door gets tight and mine wouldnt fit with the bagger on because the cables on the ramp door were more narrow then the door opening, but your running 48" so you should be all set, but be careful if your going bigger. smart move, come home, lock and unhook. if you stop at store or for lunch, just lock it up. way to go for me
  5. AllSeasonsMaintenance

AllSeasonsMaintenance LawnSite Member

just cant decide on single or dual axle
  6. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Mine will be here in a couple weeks ... I order an Atlas, 8X18, ramp door (of course), LED light package, and the side vents as well.

There are pluses and minuses to enclosed, and I fell that for my operation, the pluses out-weigh the negative points (fueling equipment, weight, etc). I pull a 35', 8' wide 5th wheel camper all the time, and drove tractor trailers for many years, so the 8' wide is no problem for me.

Let us know what you decide ... and what you buy!