Enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ralph02813, Nov 25, 2011.

1. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

I am in the process of buyiing an enclosed trailer, I am thinking a 6 x12 single axle who makes the best, who else sells racking besides rackem. Thanks

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

What are you planning on putting in it? What are you towing it with? It is always better to buy a bit bigger than you think you need so that you have room to grow into it. As long as your truck can handle it I would get at least a 7x14 dual axle. As far as brands go, it all depends on what available around you. Take a look at different brands. Look at the axles, frame, tires, lights, floor, and plywood on the walls. You should be able to tell which ones are made better.

As far as racks go. Trimmer Trap makes them, as does green touch, and jungle jims. I have the 3 place classic trimmer trap on my trailer now. They work ok. If I was going to buy new ones I would go with the extreme racks from trailerracks.com

http://www.trimmertrap.com/
    http://www.trailerracks.com/
    http://www.junglejimsap.com/

3. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

Thanks Metro - I will be using my 1999 Silveraho Sierra, inside will have my ferris 36 and 21 a couple of landscape barrels, grass catchers, weed whackers, chain saw, blowers and hedge trimmers, spreader, spayers and assorted hand tools, and oil and gas. Thanks for the leads, I will get working on them. Its seems like Haulmark is what is available around here, I was thinking a 6 x12 or 14. I guess it should have its own breaks, I run solo

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I am looking into an enclosed trailer myself, I would defintly get one with it's own brakes, I have about the same amount of equiptment, I was thinking 6x 12, I already have the extreme racks they are the best. Just hard to drop the money right now in the off season. I need a full size truck also so there goes another 10K.

5. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

I was going to with a 6x12 also. I went with a 8x20. I now could use a 24. Enclosed trailers are expensive to buy one too small.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

7' wide is wide enough to fit a 54" and 22" mower side-by-side. Depth is.. the longer the better. Anything with two or more axles will have brakes and you will need to also buy a brake controller (very few box trailers have hydro brakes.) Enclosed trailers are a great choice for security and weather!

Better/stronger trailers will have thicker frames, long door hinges, thick ramp hinges, thicker plywood, interior light, and alloy wheels.

Customize it yourself with "J" hooks bought at HD, Lowe's, hardware stores on-the-cheap. Make sure it comes with a spare (and I carry a jack in the trailer for the mower and trailer) because you WILL get a flat.

And at some point - Trailer Graphics!

7. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 7x16. I suggest 8x16. wide enough for a 48 and 36 side by side and short enough to park between most driveways. IMO, longer than 16 and your blocking too many things when parked.

8. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

At least a 6x14 double axle w/ brakes on both axles. Bigger is always better with enclosed trailers. They fill up quick and are too expensive to buy too small.

9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I started with a 6.5x14 and moved up to an 8.5x18 w/ V-nose. Sometimes I wish my 18fter was a 24fter
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't buy into the bigger is better idea simply get what you need. And as you add width it hard to back and to see around it. The 6x12 is right for most situations because you can get a 36", 48", and 21" in it and still
    have room for blowers. Unfortunately this size does not support loading a big ztr into it...need bigger axle/springs that usually don't com e in them. We are in the process of putting a 3500# axle into a 10 year old closed trailer and a new support floor.