Enclosed trailers, who uses them? And I've got an idea...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Dashunde, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

So after having more stuff stolen I've decided to get an enclosed trailer, and I'm wondering what brand gives the best bang for the buck?
    I'm thinking I'll probably go with a tandem axle in the 12-14' range.

I've also thought up a security plan...
    A car battery, a car alarm, and can of pepper spray.
    I'm thinking that I'll put a cheapo car alarm in to warn them, but if they continue I've got a motion detector that will trigger a 10amp switch to power a servo that unloads a can of pepper spray.

If they enter to try to kill the alarm, they will get a nasty suprise that is sure to run them out.

Even if the stuff sticks around for a few days, its much better than having a trimmer or two come up missing.

2. jray3369

jray3369 LawnSite Member

If you have an open trailer and are going to a enclosed... the alarm should be just fine. What if you forget (i have set my alarm off) or of a kid opens it and you forgot to lock it That wouldn't be good. Put the trailer some where by a building and have a motion light so if the get by the man door it turns on and the if the proceed the alarm will sound from a blow on the lock. They may not get it open before the alarm will sound. Put a few sirens on it (there cheap) and a tandem trail will probably have trailer brakes which means it will already have a battery. Jordan

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Thinking of going enclosed but 16-18foot so I can have a stand up tool chest and a generator\compressor on board

Any questions about the car alarm let me know thats been my buisness since 91 can get you stuff cheap and help with any questions

4. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 14x5 enclosed. the 36 is in front the 48 in the back and normally i store the push blower/ 21" behind the 48 unless they are in the shed. When i work i put the 21 in the back of the truck.

on the left wall i built some shelves out of plywood and under them i have hooks with the trimmers on them and a shelf below the bottom trimmer for the (hand blower) Near the front i have a little cut out for the mantis tiller by the side door. Towards the back i have more shelves i cut out for the chainsaw and a holder for the airpump. ON the back left corner there is a shelf about 4 1.2 feet up for the hedge trimmer and under that is a hook for the backpack.

thats my full loaded trailer. Of course all that equipment isn't there all the time. The shelves stay and i love it. The enclosed trailor is a great investment.

5. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Haulmark makes a pretty good trailer for the money. Pace is another one. Wells Cargo is good,but pretty pricey. Try ebay. I know you can save money on the Haulmarks if you live close to one of their factories.

6. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would say at least 14' long. I have a 6X14 and it is full with a 22", 36" WB and a 54" Zturn. along with the Trimmers, Edgers, Hedgers, Chain saws, generator, Air compressor, etc.

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

pepper spray can = lawsuit............insurance would be against it also as a booby trap sort of thing

like rigging your car to lose its oil if stolen......you would be SOL

just check on that if you're serious but it is a good idea :)

8. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that it might be a "boobytrap" sort of thing, but... not exactly.

I'd rig it so that the pepper spray blew as soon as a door was opened filling the entire inside with the stuff, instead of ambushing them with a blast in the face (which I'd really rather do).
    The idea is to keep them out in the first place, not to inflict agony after they enter.
    Sure, they'd get it a bit, but only if they continued in, and hopefully only enough of a whiff to send them back out the door.
    I'd probably put some small warnings near the locks explaining why they should stay out of my trailer in the first place... oh yea, must remember to do it in Spanish also. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to impliment this, but it would be nice to activate the whole thing using the remote that comes with the alarm, even the spray.

I'm wondering though... will the little electric brake battery power an alarm every night? How do those batteries get recharged?

I really like the Haulmarks, and there are lots of them around here.
    Maybe I should look for a good used one?

9. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i've got a pace 7x14 tandem. i got the 6'' extra hight option this is the most important option if you are 6' tall or taller.
    you really should consider a 7' wide unit if you are going to have a ztr on board. i wish i bought the 8x16 unit instead. with my walker and wb i can't put my 21'' in front of the trailer like i would like. with the 21'' beside my walker i'm always climbing over stuff.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I run a 24' Featherlite all aluminum enclosed trailer, with a "V" nose.

I can run the PermaGreen spreader out the front of the "V", stack 20 bags of fertilizer across in a row, then have the 48" Ferris walkbehind, and (2) Kubota ZD 28's behind that.

Everything else is mounted on the walls.

Always go bigger than what you think you really need, and always get the heaviest axle rating that's made for that size trailer, don't worry about the cost.

You'll worry more 5 years down the road when you've already ruined the trailer.