1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Enclosed trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Titans Fan, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Just curious how many of you guys use enclosed trailers.

What are the pluses and minuses of using an enclosed trailer?

What would be the average price on an enclosed trailer, one big enough to haul a 52" Exmark.

Thanks!

2. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I was actually thinking of going enclosed myself..after a bit of thinking going to stay with the open. The pros that I could think of is keeping you equipment out of the weather, theft would be more difficult for trimmers, blowers..etc. Cons...less visibility..hotter than hell in the summer even with vent open.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

For mowing to me nothing can beat a enclosed.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

My only concern is at the gas pumps....fueling up is a breeze with an open trailer.

I would also NEED a side ramp gate not a door on the side if I went with an enclosed.

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used both, and I have gone back to an open system. I still have a 20' enclosed trailer, as well as a 16' open and a 18' open. I actually have switched back because of the safety of employees pulling a big enclosed trailer, etc.. Not to mention, my enclosed trailer ate through tires, brakes etc.. much faster then my open ones.

I bought my first landscape body truck not too long ago, all of my mowing will be done with these over the next year or so. I will phase out trailers all together, I love these trucks.

6. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

i started out with an open and was using up alot of time in the morning and evening loading and unlaoding all the equipment. Plus i seemed to always not have something small that i needed for a odd job like pruners or edger or something, so i figured I could get an enclosed and keep everything with me at all times so when a customer had a branch hangin i could get the pruners out and clip it off right then, or if the weather was lookin bad not a problem i was covered when it did rain. Not to mention it just lookes more professional than the open trailers showning all those dirty mowers. In upscale neighborhoods that can make an impression on some customers or potential customers. Good luck hope this helps.

7. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

also as for your second part of your question i bought a 18x7 and got my 61" scag ztr, 48" scag ztr, push mower, 2 trimmers, 2 blowers, power edger, hedge clippers, pole saw, 6' A frame ladder, all my hand tools and such in it with me at all times. bought it last year for $5000

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How do you enclosed guys do the gas station routine?

9. Ground Scapes

Ground Scapes LawnSite Member

at a gas station you would have to pull everything out to fill it, but it would be nice because you wouldnt have to worry about things getting stollen or wet in the rain

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen guys have 1' square little "gas doors" built in to the sides. Slip the nozzle in and fuel it up.

That or a 30 some gallon tank somewhere on the trailer?