Enclosed Trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rstan2010, Feb 6, 2012.

1. rstan2010

rstan2010 LawnSite Member
    from Troy MI

Im looking at buying a new enclosed trailer before spring. Im looking for a 8.5x20 with 5200lb axles. Which brands do you guys recommend? Iv looked at American hauler and really like the under coating on them. Hows Royal Cargo?

2. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

I just placed an order for a new Stealth 8.5x20 with 5200# Dexter torsion axles. After looking around at a ton of trailers, they offered the best combination of features for me. All tube construction, complete screwless exterior, one piece aluminum roof, nicely trimmed exterior, all led lights, side flow thru vents-no roof vent, fully painted framework then undercoated including tongue, 4' side door, radials etc.

The only negatives, for me, were the jack options and the style of wheels they offer. The wheels I can deal with, the jack will get R&R'd as soon as I get it.

My trailer dealer offered the Stealth, US Cargo, and a couple other higher line trailers. The Stealth was about $200 less then the US Cargo, and other than having unfinished plywood walls, was much nicer fit and finish.

3. T-Trim

T-Trim LawnSite Member

Is 8.5x20 the max you need? If not go up to 24 and what is your inside height? 6 or 6.6

4. ParkWelding

Standard inside height for 8.5' wide car haulers is 6'6".

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

2nd on the Stealth brand. Although I just ordered a 7x14 dual axle, it is a sharp looking trailer, screwless exterior, rainblock flooring, tube construction, etc. They even did a custom 4' drop down side ramp for me for only a couple hundred more than the base cost.

6. rstan2010

from Troy MI

The max i need is about 16' that's why I'm jumping up to the 20'. I'm looking at the standard height trailer. Any options you guys would recommend I get? besides the extended tongue and bigger axles.

7. rstan2010

from Troy MI

What did you end up paying for your is you don't mind me asking

8. ParkWelding

With the options that I wanted, it was about $6700 plus tax etc.

9. ParkWelding

I think you're closer to the factory so it should be a hundred or two cheaper.

10. T-Trim

T-Trim LawnSite Member

And get a beaver tail or dovetail whatever you want to call it. Helps with loading and unloading equipment. Instead of coming straight out of the trailer. the last four or so feet start to drop off so you have a better angle. No more bottoming out.

Are you looking at v nose or flat front?