1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

enclosed trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LawnsRUsInc., Feb 14, 2004.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Does anyone that owns enclosed trailers seen the benifits from it verse open trailers. Example... advertising, secure storage, costs less than storing equip in shop. I would appreciate any comments from you all.

I want a big new trailer to haul behind my new diesel dump truck that i pick up on wed "I cant wait anymore"

Thanks, Jason
  2. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

more secure, it can be stored outside without the elements getting to your equipment. You can put your company advertising on it in larger easier to see print and graphics vs. open trailers. Slightly less temptation to theives because they can't see exactly what all is inside, but if they want your stuff they will get to it one way or another. I find there is more wind drag when driving high speeds vs. open trailer. Hope this helps some. I have wells cargo trailers and they are very good.
  3. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I use open trailers. I like jumping out of the truck and grabbing a trimmer and working in 6 seconds. I can see the advantage of not unloading but we unload at the shop anyway for maintenance and change of equipment. My 2 cents -Harry:D
  4. myoder

myoder LawnSite Member

I have an enclosed trailer and love it... don't have to load/unload equipment into garage everyday, equipment is protected from the elements, and alot of customers comment on how nice the trailer is and it looks very professional.
  5. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I want to get an enclosed trailer but can't swing the $ this year. I priced trailers this fall for a 18 or 20' bumper hitch was around $4,200. I also priced a 20' gooseneck for around $7,200. I would prefer a gooseneck because I use to haul cattle and have over 900,000 miles of experiance towing them. I can get on in and out of really tight spots. I can even paralel park one on the street around cars if I had to. Not to sure about bumper hitch though. Can't turn as tight. It sure would be nice to have a big billboard behind you going down the road.

A guy in the town I live has a V-nose snowmobile trailer. He takes the walkbehind out the front ramp and the Z out the back door. Really nice setup.
  6. P.Smitty

P.Smitty LawnSite Member

I've been thinking the same thing. Its raining in NC right now on Valentines day, and I just got done cutting. Got home, spent 10-15 minutes grabbing tarps, securing them, major waste of time. Last week we had snow, put 5 layers of tarps on the equipment. I got a 18' open trailer now, probaly keep that. Kind of worried about spending more money, when I'll probaly pick up a walk-behind this summer, to help keep hours on my rider from getting too high. Enclosed are nice, if you have the money too spend.:blob2: Power Stores Rule!!!!
  7. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to the site P. Smitty. Another person from Raleigh!
  8. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You were cutting today? Am i doing somthing wrong because i have not cut since about the end of nov.:confused:
  9. amw

amw LawnSite Senior Member

enclosed trailers also have more resale value
    If your pulling it with a diesel i wouldnt worry about the drag
    I pull 7-8000lbs all summer with a diesel and i forget its their...
    I also agree that you cant beat the "billboard" behind you
    I would say i get atleat 1 call everyday im out from people who saw the trailer.

It also looks much cleaner to the public

the only thing i dont like about them is....
    their hot as h*ll depending on what you have in the way of vents & how hot your equipment is when you put it back in the trailer..
  10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

All of the above as you mentioned.

A drawback is visibility. Always need a little extra caution when you can't see as much behind you. Pulling is never a problem with todays diesel trucks. Ours is a 20 footer, 8000 GVW and with two lazers and a walkbehind, tools, in it, etc.., it pullls like a dream.