1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Enclosed vs. Open Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by South Florida Lawns, Apr 11, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I cant decide what kind of trailer i should get next probably no larger than 6x12 single axle. I live in florida and wonder what most of you guys use?
  2. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I like to use an open the equipment is so much easier to get to which saves a lot of time if you are doing a lot of residential lawns. Also if you ever need to haul stuff away its a lot easier to put on the trailer and get off. You can also see a lot better. The only disadvantage is if it rains your equipment will get wet. but you could always pull into a gas station.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have an 8x20 enclosed trailer now after first having a 5x10 open, a 6x12 open and a 7x16 open.

Enclosed trailers are the way to go for me.

4. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

There are pros and cons no matter what with this decision. I prefer enclosed. Crew leader Denis likes enclosed. Crew leader Ralph only wants open.....
    Think about it before making that move!!!
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Enclosed trailers tend to help you keep YOUR equipment from the guys that go around stalking lawn trailers. We close the trailer at each job after taking off the equipment...so far in 8 years nothing stole. We have several things taking off our two open trailers(gas can, air tanks, sprayers) Things that are easy to snatch and run. And the equipment is not exposed to rain and you can store trailer outside.
  6. mowboy1

mowboy1 LawnSite Member

True the open trailer is easier for getting at your equipment and it's normally lighter and so requires less fuel to haul it around (which is a more significant factor these days) but I have always preferred the enclosed because you can more easily secure all your equipment and supplies both on the jobsite and overnight. Plus, as was mentioned it it rains the enclosed trailer is great. If you go with enclosed make sure you get a vents (on the side and/or on the top) that circulate the air as your driving. Otherwise, the smell can get a a little offensive. ;)
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 7x14 enclosed, love it. keeps everything more organized, and out of the weather.
  8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Enclosed, it keeps your mind on your job, not worried about your stuff being stolen, and its starting to happen around here. People ripping crap off.
  9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

just started using a 6x12 enclosed 2 weeks ago. i don't know how i worked the previous 6 years without it! the enclosed i think you can fit more cuz you can find spots to hang or mount anywhere. and the 6x12 is big, but small enough to drive around and manage easily.

the rain thing ofcourse.... and it good for those "emergency" bathroom stops!! ;)
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Enclosed is the only way to go. I got my 7' by 16' this year and can't get along with out it. (My 6' by 14' open is for sale)