Enclsd trlr..a few fix up ?'s

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GarPA, Feb 27, 2004.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

THis weekend I'm going to do some long overdue fix ups to the inside of my Southwest trlr.

Paint for walls:
    After a primer, I was going to use a high gloss latex or enamel on the walls. Thinking of using black since I;m always bumping the walls with one machine or the other. Should I consider some other type of paint?

Floor and ramp:
    Got a product called Skid Not from Valspar. Directions say I have to use an oil based primer for wood? I already have a couple of gallons of Kilz left over from another project but its latex based. Can I use it instead of buying oil based primer? Have you used tis product and do you like it?

Backpack Rack:
    Normally I dont carry the backpack in the trlr all the time...seems its always in the way and I dont need it that often but this year I want to hang it up, probably somewhere up in the nose of the trlr. I;d rather not have to order a special rack for it but if I have to, I will. Is there anything Lowes or HD sells that I could use for hanging this on the wall?

Sprayers:
    Your ideas for a rack to hang the Largest Echo bp sprayer?
    I already have plastic milk crates hanging on the walls to store misc stuff in and I was thinking of adding a couple more to set the smaller pump sprayers in but them may not be deep enough to keep them from falling over?? any other suggestions for these smaller sprayers??

thanks very much for your help

2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Paint for walls:
    I think black, even though it is gloss would make it pretty dark on the inside of your trailer.

Floor and ramp:
    I would use a product called bonding primer made by prep rite. It is made to bond to any surface even though it is an acrylic latex. It worked great on the galvanized steel I used it on. I don't think the kilz would do a bad job, but I would try not to take any chances because kilz is mainly a primer filled with pigment to block out stains and such.

Backpack rack:
    A very simple solution may be to cut a 2x4 about 24" long then cut another one about 6" long and place the 6" in the center of the longer one. Screw them together and hang it on the wall. This would work like a clothes hanger by just putting the straps on each side of the 2x4 instead of your shoulders. You will also need to put some type of latch at the bottom to keep it from swinging around and that depends on what ever would clip on to the bottom of your backpack

Sprayers:
    You can use the same idea for the backpack sprayer as for the blower. As for the small pump sprayers you might try cutting a hole in the bottom of a new milk crate and attach it on the top of the milk crates you already have.

Please let me know if something won't work or if you have any questions.

3. GarPA

from PA

GREAT IDEAS Trex....thank you very much..You're right about the black making it dark but I'l only doing the black up to where the trim goes across the plywood joints. Above that will be gloss white and the ceiling will have polyurethane on it. Gloss is more durable right? Alond with being mower stupid I am also paint stupid...hah

for any of you reading this I bought a few "closet lights" for inside the trlr...like $4 each runs on 4 AA's. You push the light cover to 'on' and three of them light up the trlr nicely at night...just thought I'd share this in case anybody needs a simple solution to the light issue

4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Yes gloss is usualy more durable than flat, but be sure to buy a quality paint. That light idea sounds like it works pretty well.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I think white would be brighter, But will the mower mark the wall or will the wall mark the mower, maybe paint same coler as the mower. No one will know if you hit anything

6. GarPA

from PA

actually what causes the most wall scrapes is that damn beast of an aerator...LA28...one of these days I'll find straps that actually work like they're supposed to...this year I plan to be more careful...yeah right...that'll last about one day until I get in a hurry...

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

if u have steel ribs in the roof put a eye bolt through it and put a chain saw strap with a clip on the blower and hang it on the eye

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

will the blower fit in a milkcrate? just screw it to the wall.

9. sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier LawnSite Senior Member

We have always lined the inside of the trailer with 1/2 inch plywood to keep the inside of the trailers in good shape for resale if needed. The trailer dealer we use had recommended this to us and it is well worth it at resale time. We sell for about 15% less than new cost after a minimum of 4 years of use.