Encore Guys!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboys, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Mowerboys

Mowerboys LawnSite Member

Are there any guys out there that just run Encore, How are the Z Series riders I am thinking of getting one. How much does an Encore 48" rider cost?

2. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

The Encore Prowler 52" with 23hp Kawasaki is a good reliable and very gutsy all rounder. If I had to buy another one it will be the 61". I use mine from the smallest residential lawns to football fields. Quality of cut is excellent. Nice stripes at various heights without a striping kit. I mulch and bag. I dont use the mulching baffles but I do double up on the blades. I only install the cover plate by the chute. Easier to switch from mulch to bag if needed.

What I like most about the Encore is the articulating deck with pivoting front axle. Much better than the conventional chain suspended floating deck IMO.

Articulating decks are for dummies. You can't scalp! :D

PC

3. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

The Encore is a decent "middle of the road" commercial product. The Z series is not very heavy duty...more like residential quality...smaller tires, drive system and cheaper frame etc.

I have now switched to all Great Dane mowers as my local dealer is excellent and the mowers have done me good as well.

The Super Surfers and Chariot riders are big time savers for me...

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

A few other MFG's have similar designs...

Ferris
    Country Clipper
    EverRide

Since you have that type of deck, what do you think of other MFG's designs?

5. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Correct. The Z series is a consumer grade rider developed for and targeted at the consumer market. Same as the older Proline series.
    The Prowler is a different deal. Totally commercial.

I don't have any expierence with Ferris, Country Clipper or Everride. These mowers might have independent suspensions and pivoting front axles BUT they still have a suspended floating deck and NOT an articulating deck. As far as I know Lastec is the only other manufacturer in the articulating deck market.

6. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

pcnservices, "These mowers might have independent suspensions and pivoting front axles BUT they still have a suspended floating deck and NOT an articulating deck."

I'm not really sure what you mean by this statement, but isn't a deck that is directly attached to a pivoting front axle an articulating deck??? That is exactly what the Country Clipper does. I'm not sure about the Ferris or Everride

Just information for thought from my observations. The deck suspension from the Prowler mid-mount seems to be a copy (with necessary modifications) of the suspension from the Prowler out-front, which seems to be an exact copy of the suspension from a Country clipper out-front. I am trying to figure out what make the Encore unique and better from that aspect??

7. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone has their favorites. Some features offered by manufactuers appeal to different people in different ways depending on the working enviroment that business owners deal with on a daily basis. I will say from my experence with a 97' Encore ProLine, that the machines are wonderful middle-of-the-line for guys who are solo ops. Im sure the machines would hold up for awhile for bigger operations, but probably not nearly as long as some of the bigger machines like Exmark and Hustler, etc.

8. LASTEC

LASTEC LawnSite Member

True articulating decks are awesome.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The models I mentioned have the deck suspended from an articulating axle, or in the case of Ferris an A-arm.