Encore Hydro Walk Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman, Jan 7, 2000.

1. lawnman

lawnman LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a new 52&quot; mower in the Spring and I would like to know about the reliability, do they stripe nice and how well do they bag. I can get one for about $1000 less than a Scag Mower and the dealer is very accomodating to the needs of a small business as I am. Any suggestions or comments?????<p>----------<br>spreble<br>

2. jsteveharris

jsteveharris LawnSite Member

I used a 60&quot; Encore WB and it scalped terribly, I was trying it out and decided it did not do a good looking job. I just bought a Scag ultimate 48 hydro and it does much better than the encore. I would spend the extra and get the scag. Email me if you have any questions about the scag.<p>----------<br>Steve Harris<br>From The Ground Up Landscaping

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Spend the extra dough on a Scag. You'll get part of the extra money back when you sell it and the rest of the money back in fewer repairs. <p>There's a reason why the Encore is 1000.00 less. Are you comparing same engine, deck size, (floating deck?) and drive type.<p>I believe having a top dealer to work with is worth a lot. I also have found cutting corners on new equipment purchases is a poor way to boost the long-term bottom line.

4. lawnman

lawnman LawnSite Member

Lazer, I'm comparing it with the same set up and I do beleive the dealer is giving me a good price as he gave me on my Ferris. the Ferris was $6oo cheaper then the other Ferris dealers. I have had problems with the Scag dealer. I have a Turf Tiger and the clutch went on it and it took two weeks to fix it. I myself have always felt Scags were a better quality mower, however, a couple years ago I ran into a lemon the &quot;Turf Runner&quot;. This piece of junk was in the shop more than on the turf.... My wife finally raised such a fuss with the manufacturer that they swapped it for the Tiger which I am pretty satisfied with. This is why I need some input before I shell out any money, I don't want to go through that again and cannot afford to have down time with repairs. Again this dealer is really accomodating and bends over backwards to put me ahead realizing I don't have 15 trucks to pick up the slack. The Ferris is a great machine with excellent stripes, however, the bagging needs critiquing. It doesn't fill the bags no matter what we try.<p>----------<br>spreble<br>

5. Lazer

I hope your dealer gave you a demo to use while yours was in the shop for 2 weeks!<p>I think I'd buy a Ferris before I bought a Encore. Why not try the new Ferris ZTR with the suspension? A lot of guys are buying those. <p>A far as the bagging, why not use a Trac-Vac, too clumsy on a walk-behind? I would fabricate my own hookup for a bagger if needed, before switching mower brands.<p>It sounds like you've got a great dealer and I would buy from him regardless of what brand you'll be using.

6. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

I agree with Lazer. I have a Dual Drive Hydro walk behind by Ferris. You wouldn't be disappointed in the quality. Also been on the IS Ferris. Nice machine.<p>John

7. lawnman

lawnman LawnSite Member

I do have a Trac-vac and it does a nice job but not on hill's.The Ferris I own is also very hard on hands as with the Encore it's like squeezing butter and look's like a good machine as well. the dealer say's it's good mower but I have not talk to any owners of them to back it up. Im also looking at Lesco's. Lazer the dealer would not give me a loaner. They were all out. <p>----------<br>spreble<br>

8. Lazer

Lesco is a reactionary design. They have always been. They offer lawn mowers so they can be full service. I'll buy their Fert/Control Products all day long, but wouldn't touch their mowers. Their machines aren't bad, but they are always 5 years behind everbody else.<p>I'm probably really offending some guys here, but when ExMark, Ferris, Scag, etc. are busting their fanny coming out with new products and innovative designs, why would you buy a machine from somebody's who not cutting edge?<p>Plus many Lesco mowers (i.e. Viper) are built by MTD. (no further comment needed)

9. lawnman

lawnman LawnSite Member

Lazer, I thought Lesco is making the mowers for MTD, and MTD just came out with there mowers this past season??????... There is a lawncare company out our way that has switched to all Lescos mowers and has had good luck with them. Boy if it isn't going to snow this winter, I am tempted to go out and mow mud!!!!!!! Give me something to do! What walk behind mowers do you use?

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If what I heard is true, your both wrong. I heard MTD started making the Lesco Viper and then Lesco built a factory next to MTD and have their own guys assemble them using MTD parts, so Lesco can say they build them. I don't know how true this is. The only difference I can see is Viper has a Kawasaki engine and MTD has a Kohler engine and of course the paint. I did test drive one that a guy I know bought and I won't be switching over to them I know.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html