Encore Hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MysticLandscape, Jun 7, 2006.

1. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just talking to my dealer about getting a new mower. I can get a 15 HP Kawi and a 48 inch mower for $4300. He said he might be able to get a deal for me where I can grab it for $3700. The mower is a hydro. What do you guys think about the engine and mower combination. I already have a encore and like them. I am not fimilar with hydros and just wanted to get a better idea. Please express thoughts.

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive had a 36 & 48" hydro. Since have sold them but never had any problems out of them. They both had Kawi on them
    Normal maintenance led to less down time.

3. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump...............

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Was at my dealer today. He carries Encore. It was a 48" hydro with the 17hp KAI Kawi.

Hydros tap more power than belts.

You should be fine though.

I remember back when SCAG had 10 and 12.5hp engines on them.

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

15 seems about perfect for my 36 Stander. I have had a 14 on a 52 hydro and when it got thick, it was not enough. I would much rather have 17 as a min. on a 48. I think alot of it has to do with deck design, how much recycling of the clippings is going on, and whether or not you are going to try to run doubles. I like the v-twin 15 Kaw for easy starting, but I had a rod pop off the piston at about 350 hours and when my worker pulled it apart he thought it looked like it was made of toy parts they were so small. My 15 does not want to idle well regardless of what is done to it. I much prefer Kohler's these days.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the biggest Da#$ engine you can. They probably only offer 17 on a 48". You will be happy with the hydro. more manuverable and lesstiring than a beltdrive. I have 23hp on a 48" WB with a sulky and it's about right.