1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Encore Mower flipped over

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by paulkcfd, Jul 23, 2005.

1. paulkcfd

paulkcfd LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I was on a hill yesterday and flipped my 36" mower on its top. I see no damage but there was oil leaking out of my air filter chamber. I see no other damage. I decided to quit using it that day, it was my last lawn and I was almost done anyway. after soaking up the oil where it was leaking, and apparently it stopped leaking once it was righted I started it to get it on my trailer. It spit out blue smoke and ran rough until I got it on the trailer. I shut it off and I was wondering, is that just oil that got in the fuel or is this a more serious problem. Should I take it in to a shop and have them check it out. Thanks for any help. Paul
  2. mikemerritt

mikemerritt LawnSite Member
    from MS

Other than a possible oil soaked air filter you are probably past any problems. Sometimes the cylinder will get so much oil the engine can't turn through and can even bend a rod if it rolls through just right. Check the air filter and the plug and just run it until the smoke clears up.

3. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

Don't forget, check the oil!! If too much drained out, you don't want to seize the engine!!

I think I'd pull the plug and roll it over a few times to make sure there isn't a serious amount of oil in the cylinder before restarting.
  4. paulkcfd

paulkcfd LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for replying so quick. I assume you mean the spark plug right? I need to replace that anyway so I may just go ahead and do that now. Again thanks for your help. Paul
  5. paulkcfd

paulkcfd LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Grey, do you mean the spark plug, and by turn it over, just pull the rope start a few times?. Would that help clear out any other oil in there. Thanks again. Paul
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

No, There isn't any other oil to worry about now since you have already cranked it up.He was referring to removing the plug and pulling the rope to prevent a hydro lock from a excessive amount of oil getting in the cylinder when it flipped.
    You should be good to go now.