Encore Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SterlingLawn, Apr 17, 2002.

1. SterlingLawn

SterlingLawn LawnSite Member

Looking to buy my first ZTR but on a budget. My dealer is offering me an Encore ZTR with a 25 horse liquid cooled engine with 60 hours on it for 6800.00 with full warranty. Any body have any feedback on mower itself and if this might be a reasonable deal?
    Thanks for the help. Not familiar with this line.

2. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I looked at one last week. It just seemed to be of a lesser quality than Skag, Exmark or Ferris. I cant remember anyone saying anything good about them. Seems like alot of $$$

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I would run!! Can't say I have operated one myself, but I have seen them and I have seen their quality of cut....both look less than average. I would invest in an Exmark. Do it right the first time.

4. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Look at a Gravely. They are tanks, cut great and are inexpensive as ZTRs go. Or look at Great Dane Chariots. I never cut with a chariot, but they are the most comfortable mower next to the Gravely that I've sat on b/c of how the controls are in between your legs, and I know for a fact that GDs cut perfect and the Chariot it built like a tank. Also with a lower center of gravilty it is dynamite on hills.

5. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

We have used there walk-behinds for years and have been very happy with them no major breakdowns and the cut is very good! I have seen several riders around but have no experience with them.

6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I don't even think about Encore anymore because their dealer in my area is so expensive and annoying. They also are a Great dane dealer. I told the guy once I wanted to demo a Surfer and he started on the paperwork already as soon as i left and I never even told him I was going to buy it. I told him I was just demoing out some equipment for next year maybe. Then he tells me to sell of my Scag and he'd hook me up with a used 17KAE52" Surfer with like over 700 hours on it for $5800. He said he woulsd just throw in a new hour meter and a new warranty. I just walked out when he wasn't looking!

7. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i can't say anything in regards of quality of cut just yet, but i'm going to demo an encore 34" ztr in a few weeks. i posted a question on their website and within 4 hours they had a rep call me and set up a time to do the demo. the rep is going to make an 8 hour drive just to let me demo this thing and i told him i was just demoing right now and wouldn't be buying anything for some time. That seems like dynamite customer service to me.. but when i asked him about cut quality he said that the 34" machines biggest advantage over other brands is it can get through gates.. no emphasis on cut, stripe, or mulch like i'd asked about...oh well i'll find out soon enough..

8. SterlingLawn

SterlingLawn LawnSite Member

Well I demo'd the encore prowler 61" with a 27 hp liquid cooled engine for the day today and put it through a variety of different scenarios and it passed every test except the long term reliabilty one of course. Fast, excellent cut quality even at higher speeds, holds a hill(was not a huge pitch though), comfortable with the suspension seat. Wife even striped like a champ with it and has never riden ZTR. Overall impressed. Will try a husler tomorrow and a chariot next week.

9. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed one with the 31hp gas on it. It did a nice strip pattern but did do a lot of clumping in the early morning dew!

10. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

I have a 36" encore hydro great mower! I tried out there big prowler and did not really care for the machine.