1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Encore mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slabpile, Jan 11, 2001.

1. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

I have been using a walker for the last three years. Recently the school district hired me to do al there ouside maintance. they will purchase the equipment i want. so was getting ready to buys a couple walkers because they have been very good, but i swas asked to look at a encore because the owner of the buisness will "help the school with the price." Still is my choice. so what does any one know about the encore mowers?
  2. How many acres are there to mow?
  3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Slabpile they probley get a great deal on the Encore, and if there buying the equipment thats great use it. I have never used the Encores but have seen many around town, hey your useing there mowers so hop on and enjoy the cutting.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Slabpile, If it's money the school system is concerned about saving, then tell them to save their money on the Encore. It will just end up costing them more money in the long run. Have the superintendent view the machinery and it's construction compared to a higher quality machine, and you may be able to makethe point better. If you jump on this equipment, and it starts beaking down all the time, just think how it's going to look - an outside contractor using equipment that isn't his so HE'S got nothing to lose.... Is it carelessnes? Would this be happening if it was his OWN equipment?
  5. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

not sure on acerage but my guess after looking at them all is about 40hrs for two guys on walkers whith 54" decks and speedup kits. decicions is mine to make on machines. i know that walker is reliable but i didn't really know anything about encore except they were less money. meeting with rep next week plus going to new england grows. (landscape show for those of you who are from away!) anything anyone has heard would be great to hear
  6. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

Slabpile,I'm not from away but when and where is new england grows? how big of a show? thanks brad
  7. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

very large landscape show in the Hynes in boston. it is very much worth the drive down. feb 8-10. http://www.negrows.org. going down by myself if anyone wants a ride.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I own a 48" hydro w/b encore. I would never buy another. Something is always breaking. All 3 spindles have been replaced twice. The OPC switches are always breaking. The blade tip speed is slow. Front bushings don't last, no matter how much you grease them. All this and its only a year and a half old. But, it does make a pretty good w/b bushhog. Everything else I've bought has been exmark.
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's pretty safe to say in this day and age we live in, that you get what you pay for. I think it applys for almost anything, including mowers. It only makes sense to me.