Encore not cutting right

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Andiamo, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Andiamo

Andiamo LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Encore walk behind mower that is 5 yrs. old. It has a 14 hp Tecumseh motor that runs perfect. The problem is the machine will leave an uncut strip of grass down the middle between the two blades. I have replaced the belt, the bearings, blades (from OEM), spoke with a tech from Encore who suggested lowering the blades down to the deck height...none of this has helped. Any thoughts on where else to look for a problem? Has anyone out there had a similar problem with their 36"?

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Post a picture if you can. sounds like you were gave the wrong blades.

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Look under the deck and you will see that the blade wells overlap each other. They have to, so that the full width of the mower will cut grass. When each well is filled-up with blade, then the whole width of the mower cuts grass, because the blades are "overlapping" each other's path. The uncut line of grass left under the middle of the mower shows that the blades ARE NOT overlapping to cut the full width of the mower deck. What you have are the wrong length blades. Remove what you have, go to the dealer and get the correct length blades for the machine and you will be all set. Measure the old ones against the new ones, and you will see the difference. Any more problems, please let us know. And let us know how you made out.

4. jim dailey

Sorry for the double post, but I DO NOT own a 36" cut machine. So, I looked at a couple of catalogs. They all list 18" blades for the Encore 36" machine. With the blade Wells overlapping, just slightly, you can see how the whole 36" width of grass is to be cut. The uncut line down the middle shows that the present blades are too short. Good luck.

5. Andiamo

Andiamo LawnSite Member

thanks for the replies. I will take the blades back to the shop, but when I bought them, I remember we made sure they were 18". Could it be that this mower requires a slightly longer blade... do they make such a thing?

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Length may not necessarily be the problem....

I have a Toro Proline 36" that was doing the same thing with gator blades that were the right size. I switched to high lifts and that solved the problem....

Derek

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Measuring the blade may have been the problem. Some makers measure there blades from end to end and some measure them on the diagonal like you would a TV screen. You can be off just enough to cause problems.

8. Andiamo

Andiamo LawnSite Member

I measured them diagonal (ie. from blade end to blade end) and it comes out to exactly 18".

9. jim dailey

OK, let's try this. Put the blades back on the machine. Making sure that the machine is jacked-up properly, get underneath and turn the blades by hand so that two blade ends are meeting. Now, imagine a centerline down the middle of the machine, through the blade wells. Do each of the blades cross that centerline? Use a string and/or a tape measure if you have to. Also, while you are under the machine, measure the width of each of the blade wells. That may tell you something right there. And, while the blades are fastened to their respective spindles, grab them and shake them. That will give you an idea on the condition of the spindles. I almost can't beleive the spindles to be so bad that they would leave a small stripe of un-cut grass. Don't give up on this, and let us know how you made out.

10. Andiamo

Andiamo LawnSite Member

OK, bought a new set of OE blades just in case I was in fact given the wrong blades - no luck. I lined up the blades as you described, and while the blade ends overlap, only one blade actually crosses the centerline of the deck. Does that make sense? Could this be the problem or is this normal? The mechanic I talked to when I bought the blades really had no more suggetions. Any one out there think of something I am overlooking?