Encore Prowler 61", front deck

Discussion in 'Encore Equipment' started by jdnixboe, Nov 26, 2006.

1. jdnixboe

jdnixboe LawnSite Member

I am looking at a Prowler 61", front flip up deck, 25 hp Kawasaki, 2005 model with 95 hours, excellent condition. What would be a fair price for this mower? I've owned Hustlers, but never an Encore. Can anyone comment on the quality of an Encore? How does it compare to a Hustler? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jschu13

jschu13 LawnSite Member

I'd give him up to $7,500 for it. I don't know how Encore compares to Hustlers since I've never demo'd or used one.

I've owned two Encore Prowler front-cuts and one Encore Hydro-Pro commercial walk-behind. They all have been great. With my first front-cut, I had a problem with the drive belt tensioning spring breaking, but it turned out to be a design flaw in the part which was supplied by another manufacturer. Encore replaced them (broke two) at no charge and eventually changed the design and manufacturer which solved the problem. Oil changes and lubrication are easy since access to the engine is unrestricted.

Oh, and by the way, I'm the guy selling the one that your brother Chad told you about (LOL). I thought I'd yank your chain with the "I'd give him up to $7,500" comment.

I am serious about the quality of Encore equipment and my owning the above items. Check out the other threads in this forum. Encore is starting to gain market share in the commercial ZTR riding market . They've always been well received for their commercial walk-behinds. The founder of Encore (Dick Tegtmeier) previously worked as an engineer for Exmark and Kees.

Every manufacturer has their problems from time-to-time, but for the money on overall performance and quality, I wouldn't hesitate on putting Encore up against any other brand. As for price, I got the mower I'm selling for $8,400 (cash plus trade on my other equipment). Here is a Colorado dealer's website with their pricing information for Encore equipment (mine is the 800PFC power train with the 61" deck and dual tail wheels).

As for price, I think these things are like cars. Once you drive it off the lot, it will lose some value. But does that necessarily make the quality go down? No. It's just not brand new and in my case, it has extremely low hours. Plus, it's never been used commercially, only on my 4-acre residence. I would think $6,000 would be a very fair price for it. I'm even willing to go a little less without giving it away.

Call me if you want to talk more. Have a great day!

Jeff (816-263-0106)