Encore prowler a quality mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by buddhacj7, Sep 24, 2004.

1. buddhacj7

buddhacj7 LawnSite Member

Just wondering if Encore is a good brand of mower and is the prowler front cut
    a decent mower for cutting large commercial area/.

2. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

I bought one 5 years ago, used it two weeks and went back to the dealer and tried to trade it for a Grasshopper. He would not make the trade, said he didn't want it sitting on his lot anymore. Needless to say, I've never bought so much as a tire plug from the guy. Shame on me for buying it without using a demo for a day. We used it for the season, hated everything about it. Still have it with a grass catcher that we bought used and mounted to it, use it only in the fall for leaves. Otherwise it sits in the shed for 11 months. I would not recommend one to anybody.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

What did you not like about it?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Some advice. You are going to get what you pay for. If you buy a low end mower like Encore, The Landscaper, Lesco, MTD or the like don't expect the same performance or longevity that you would get from a Dixie Chopper, Exmark, Scag or Hustler. There will be people who use them and have no problems. That's fine because even a beat dog gets a bone once in a while. But, when it's time to dig down deep into 7 inch tall crabgrass for 3 and 4 thousand hours those bargain machines just don't hold up.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Richard you forgot Toro in your list of good commerical mowers :)

I don't have and have never looked at the Encore but I must say I am surprised since the owner of that company since day one is the same guy that Co-Founded Exmark.

6. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

When I bought Exmark walkbehind's back in 1995 everyone called them Flexmark,said I was cheap and a fool for buying them and that real companies use Scag! Everything starts somewhere. I always try to keep an open mind in search of the next best thing.

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Only real difference is the deck and controls. Same motor and trans as any other company (kohler, kaw or whatever with a peerless gear drive). Alot of people said lesco was junk, i demo'd one and it kicked grass and did leave killer stripes but the dealer was a fool to me so thats why i went with bob-cat (another good company :D ) As long as the deck is a good heavy duty design and has a good baffle system in it the mower would be good for a start up mower and upgrade down the road.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

oh bs richard. I can buy two lescos for less than what an exmark costs and when the exmark is worn out junk I'll still have at least one lesco in great shape if not one new and still the other one running fine.

GEO

9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Where in God's name did anybody get the idea that Lesco mowers are less money than anyone else's? I am looking at their site and the MSRP for their 19/48 ZTR is more than nine grand.

This is cheap? Don't take my word for it. Try this hyperlink.
    http://www.lesco.com/default.aspx?PageID=27&ItemNumber=707201

10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

suggested price is never asked at the dealer. suggested price on a gear drive walk behind is like 2500 i think and when i looked at a 48" it was 2100 and was given a sale price of $1850 in july because the next yeras mowers were out already.