encore prowler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danlawnser, Feb 7, 2001.

1. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

Are they any good? does anyone have one?
  2. teamII

teamII LawnSite Member

i have a 61 with a 22 lckaw, this is one fast mower ,but the blades need to be extra sharp, i can get by with dull blades on my scag but something up with this mowers deck or something i change blades everynite. but all the guys talk about blade tip speed this mower sounds like a helicopter. i have had it two years and no trouble, the deck is what i consider the best on the market and ive had them all. also i think its one of the fastest machines out there but for some reason they arent many dealers. the downfall is the weight this machine is so heavy duty that i cant use it on real tight yards,,,,,so if you do commerical i would suggest this machine. if you do residential go with emark
  3. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen them, and they are nice mowers. They are also overpriced(as ZTR's go) though. Kind of ironic, given the fact they are considered to be a budget-brand of commercial machines. I would definately look elsewhere, as dealers are few and far between. This also means parts would be hard to fnd.
  4. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I think you may get better luck with buying a slightly used Bobcat or Exmark. Encore are a little on the primitive side as far as operator comforts, contros, etc. The Bobcat & Exmark will also hold a hill better, if you have any on your route. I demo'ed an Encore & swore I was going to tip it over on a 5 degree grade.
    Best example I could give is It's like buying a new cavalier vs. a good used Town car or Park Ave.
    You get what you pay for.
  5. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for all the replies. I have been looking between that mower and a Great Dane Chariot. I have a Dane walkbehind for now and I should be alright for awhile. The best thing to do would be to demo them both.