encore spindle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ffemtlawnboy, Jun 6, 2008.

1. ffemtlawnboy

ffemtlawnboy LawnSite Member

half way thru a yard last night the middle spindle began smoking, initially i thought it was just some grass up around the pulley. i shut down the blades, pulled up the trailer to check the underside. it all looked good under there and everything was free spinning. well i continued to finish cutting the yard without another waft of smoke. once i got back to my shop and pulled in i noticed there were some metal shavings under the pulley. what do you guys think is the bearing smoked or something bigger?? even if its the spindle and the bearing how easy is it to fix without paying a shop a ton of money to do it. i am fairly mechanical i'm just new to this brand and unsure of where to get the parts i need. it would be greatly appreciated if you guys could point me in a good direction.

2. slone

slone LawnSite Member

I Never Changed One On A Encore But, I Have Changed Them On A Lesco Walkbehind And A Ztr. If You Have Some Ability As You Say They Are Not That Hard To Do. If The Mower Is Still Under Warranty Check With Your Dealer. That Spindle Might Have Have A Recall Or Other Problems They Know About. If Not My Lescos Have Bolts That Hold The Spindles To The Deck. Some Of The Pulleys Are Held On By 2 Small Bolts. On Top Of The Pulley You Might Have Two Other Small Holes, Take The 2 Small Bolts Out And Put Them In Open Holes Tighten Down This Should Lift The Pulley Off. Then Undue The Bolts Holding The Spindle On The Deck. I Don't Know If This Helps As I Say I Only Changed Them On My Lescos. The Job Looks Tougher Than It Is. Keep All Parts Together. I Always Like To Have The New Part On Hand Before I Attempt To Take Anything Apart.

3. ffemtlawnboy

the mower is definitely not under warranty as i picked it up used. i did however get out into my shop yesterday to see what i had going on. i didn't have enough time to really get into it but the pulley is stuck as of right now. as far as getting the spindle bolts out that was no problem at all. i'm on station today so first thing when i get home i'm gonna get back into it and see where this whole thing stands. from what i checked yesterday it feels like it is just a bearing.

4. ffemtlawnboy

got home and got back into it today, nows when i wish i had ac in my shop cause it is down right hot here. anyhow i was able to get the two bolts on the pulley out but unable to seperate it all, anyone have any tricks to getting them to seperate?? i was thinking if i had two bolts that were longer that would work...........right? please help

5. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

i had the exact same problem you had. My spindle on my 36" encore was smooking and screeching really loudly. I decided it was time to get a new one. I bought a new one for like $70. A little expensive but it was worth it because i was mowing the next day. If i were you i wouldnt take any chances. I would replace the spindle.

6. ffemtlawnboy

damn, the cheapest price i could find for the entire assembly was $170. best i can tell without getting that pulley off is that the upper bearing is smoked, thats only $4. well brother KC how did you get that damn pulley off, longer bolts or did you just beat the hell out of it?

7. bojodunk

bojodunk LawnSite Member

Longer bolts if you have a 2 piece taper lock pully longer
    bolts screwed into the right holes will help remove it
    replace top and bottom bearings or you will regret it later
    (use only good grease and good bearings

8. ffemtlawnboy

thanx for the help BO. i'll post back up later this week and let everyone know how it turns out