Encore Z34 OR Gravely 34Z????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drkc27, Nov 9, 2006.

1. drkc27

drkc27 LawnSite Member

Deciding on the size was the easy part but on which one has been real difficult. I am an homeowner upgrading from a 21" toro to a 34" ZTR. Moved to a home with .5 acres and need the extra help due to a bad back.

I have a dealer selling the Encore for 3K with a 18hp Briggs. It comes in a 15hp Kawi too and some dealers I spoke to feel that the briggs is a piece of crap. No clue here.

The Gravely with 15hp kawi is a used one with just over 50hrs. I will go and demo one t'row. Again demoing a machine for 10 mins in a parking lot is obviously not the irght measure of a mower. hence I am here asking you gentlemen for advice.

So what are the major differences? Are they comparable? I think encore has higher ( 19000) blade tip speed.

2. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

don't know any about either mower but from what i understand a lower powered kaw is usually favored over the b and s engines
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I never had an experience with either machine but I can tell you all we run is Kawi's, they are smooth, powerfull and last quite a few years. I was looking at a 34" Gravley and it was also a demo with 19hrs on it, my dealer wanted 3800.00, whats your guy asking for it?
  4. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

I have not used one but there are several of the encore units around here. I have a good friend who has one for two years now. and loves the machine. He does around 100 residential yards weekly. and Has to my knowledge never had a breakdown. By the way he has the kawasaki engine.
  5. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Gravely, hands down! I sell the Gravely 34Z and I've looked at Encores 34Z, the Gravely is a better built, commercial quality machine.
  6. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

imo the better buy is going to be the gravely they are built too last. and if you go for the encore please dont get the briggs they suck :angry: unless its a vanguard of course:weightlifter:

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

So we are saying the Encore z-34 is a homeowner unit? I would say go with the kawasaki for sure but the Encore has better warranty than gravely! And at least here much better dealer and support! If you were looking at the larger prowler units I would say Encore hands down! But not sure on a 34" machine.
  8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I own a Gravely 44z and I would run the kaw hands down over the b&s. I have never look at a Encore. right now I run 3 kaw 15,17,26lc the 17 has alot of power for the 44z. I don't like the front end washs out on hills. I use mine for a cemetery and trim mower and a few res. Great cheap back up ztr
  9. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the Kawi 19 on my ZTR and have to say it's a good engine so far. But it seems to me anything Kawasaki makes is good.
  10. drkc27

drkc27 LawnSite Member

The issue is that the Gravely is not sold by a Dealer. I did demo and it is the Gravely today and it was very responsive. The dealer quoted me $4600 out the door. The one with 50 hrs is considerably less. Man what do I do?

The Encore ofcourse is sold by a dealer and has the warranty but it is a briggs. Tried it too and it was OK. What do I do??

I guess my decision is finally going to hinge on which is a better built mower. Things a newbie like me noticed - Encore has more blade tip speed ( 19000 compared to 18000). I guess reliability is a question too. Aren't there anyone who actually uses or used an Encore on here????

Thanks for all your help.