1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Encouragement for those just getting started.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jondcoleman, Jun 20, 2007.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

This was the first year my company offered Fert and Weed Control Services and I just wanted to give some encouragement to those just getting started in this service or thinking of doing it. I feel like people who have not been doing chem apps forever get a lot of flack on this site. You don't have to have worked in it before althought that is helpful. I understand the concern for proper application techniques and abiding by the law but nobody is born an applicator and we all need to start somewhere. I do want to thank everyone for the input given me this winter on this site. Very helpful. Thanks!

First of all, get licensed. Take the proper courses and exams to get licensed in your state. You will learn a lot and be legal too!

Read everything! This site has a ton of good info if you are willing to spend some time searching. Read about what ferts to use what time of the year and what chemicals to apply to do what. Read how to use a spreader and how to use a skid sprayer and how to use a backpack sprayer. Read about business and marketing techniques for chem apps, and whatever else you need to know.

Get advice from the pros. (This is often good to be done after doing the reading so you don't look like a complete idiot and get no respect.) I went to Lesco and talked to the guys there for a while and they were very helpful in helping me understand the products, pricing and a plan for application. I also talked to a friend of mine who is in another state doing apps.

Figure out your costs, then your prices and start marketing.

During the time you are gaining clients, practice. Practice Spreading, Practice Spraying (not with the chems though!!!), learn to calibrate, etc. You can do it, just practice. I found that the tip to practice spraying on a parking lot was very helpful.

Follow the law and follow labels for chems. Be careful when mixing or filling.

Followup. Make sure you come back to some lawns and check the results and adjust your application as necessary.

Enjoy yourself! Have fun making people's lawns look great.

We're about halfway through the season and haven't burned anybody's lawns yet and the lawns are looking great. Go with God!

2. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice. We do it on small scale from some stuff we get from wally world for customers fence line and etc but thinking of expanding it. Thanks for the advice.
  3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hope you get help from members here. I'm in the Midwest, but we have helped other LCO's get off the ground locally: Setting up computer billing, selling slightly used equipment, selling products at reduced prices, etc.

Been in this industry as a "professional" for 30 years, and I have never regreted helping others.

Good luck dude -- you got friends here.
  4. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

Thanks friends are always great to have. :)