1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

End of cutting season in Midwest

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smartgene, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Smartgene

Smartgene LawnSite Member

This is my first season in the business and I'm wondering when the cutting season ends in Michigan and the midwest.
  2. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

last year we cut some of our accounts just before thaknsgiving, we had a extended season. Year before we were done and had everything in the shed by Hollowen.
  3. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

for the past two years we mowed up until the second week in december. gauranteed that it wasn't every lawn, but a good portion of them. two years ago our season ended because of four inches of snow, other wise we would have cut that day as well.
  4. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

Send a note with your invoices telling your customers that you will continue to visit the property every two weeks to take care of the the leaves. Most people will not call but If the customer balks at this explain that it's part of being a good neighbour, their property will look great all fall, and the leaf clean up will be cheaper at the end of the year when it will only be beds and gutters. Just add $5 to the mowing charge until the the leaves really start coming down. Make sure you send out your invoices after every week when the leaves really start coming down. I have had problems with people doubting multiple leaf jobs on a single invoice but not when they have separate bills. I also hate those huge jobs at the end of the year. This system does not completely eliminate those nightmare jobs because there are some accts. who want one clean up when the leaves are all down but it eliminates your whole route being this way with a huge rush before the snow falls. I also pick up mowing accts. for the following year from fussy people who want their leaves picked up on a more regular basis than their present service.
  5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I'm here in Cleveland, and last year wew stopped mowing in like mid-november but then I still continued with the billing and the plans for the next-season already in December.
  6. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

smartgene, what part of michigan?

i stopped last year (my first year) mid-november and just kept an eye on the lawns. i dont' have many lawns that require fall clean-up, so i was cut a bit short on the income portion. i have quite a few accounts in one neighborhood that has an association, and they limit the amount of trees and landscaping aloud. i guess it works out ok though, makes it easier on the trimming.