End of day equipment storage.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thfireman, Sep 5, 2002.

1. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you remove all or most of your equipment from your trailers at the end of the day? I have started removing all the small stuff that are easy to remove. In light of my latest theft I have decided it is worth removing these items to deter another theft.

What do you do to improve security?:confused:

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I back the trailer and all into a storage unit. close and lock the door , then drive the 20 miles home. the storage units a 10 x 20 but the trailers only a 5x8 so its a good fit. The trick was finding a storage unit with enough room out front to manuver a truck and trailer and back the trailer in. Of course when I get a bigger trailer I'm screwed.

3. Everything that isnt in a locked toolbox come off every day

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

:mad:

I unload everyday. however, as a solo, my load is light.

I would never forgive myself if I had to protect my property with a 12 ga. shotgun.

the cost of magnum 000 buck is out the roof since 09/11/01.

GEO

5. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I leave it all on the trailer at night. If the SOBS have the gull to come in and try to take anything then fine they can die with my hand tools in their hands after all blood washs off pretty easy. It is parked right outside my living room and bedroom windows and I have 5 loaded firearms within arms reach and I am NOT afraid to pepper somebody with 8 shot or my rocksalt handloads ! Steal from me and be buried beneath my tree !
    In all seriousness I lock all 4 of my trimmers and brushcutters to the trailer and the ramp would have to be dropped to get the mowers out and it is parked with the back to the garage door so they can't drop the ramp. We have had thieves here before , infact just about three months ago I chased one off by sneaking out and just the sound of a pump shotgun when you jack a shell in it will make a guy hurdle a four foot fence that is on an embankment going up hill ! PUNK anyhow . Around here they either steal cars or things that they can take easily without having to work at it, they want quick cash for drugs, I hardly think they will get much out of garden tools (shovels, rakes,brooms, weeders,picks)

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I live in the sticks! :D I only unload now if there is any chance of rain. Getting lazy I guess, or just tired these days. I feel for you guys in the city, I was there not that long ago and don't miss it a bit.

Jay

7. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I unload everything every night and put in mini storage. I haven't been able to find storage space yet that has enough room to back my 18 ft trailer in (no room between buildings).

If I can find that place I will leave everything loaded and back trailer in. Until then, it is all locked up inside at night.

8. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Being solo, I operate out of a van. Lock the van at night and I'm set. I couldn't imagine dragging all my gear out of a trailer after putting in a 12 hour day. It's hard enough for me just to drag my butt up the driveway!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

9. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

We back the entire, (open Trailer and Truck) into the locked / fenced with 165 lb Great Dane Backyard and walk into the house, never had anything stolen from back there yet.

Most folks tend to run when the dog is with me! And I would hate to wake him up in the middle of the night!

Our mowers live outside all the time.

Al B

10. ProCut

ProCut Guest

I pull trimmers and blowers off the trailer every night. Trailer is backed against garage door and my truck parked in front of trailer. I have to drag out the tarps and cover the mower and anything else left on the trailer. I hate that routine every night when my butt is dragging. Better safe than sorry.

Its generally pretty quiet in our neighborhood. May have to do with the fact we have a State Trooper living across the street, Chief of Police next door, and a City Police Officer a few houses up. I'm practically surrounded.