End of season breakdowns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, Nov 1, 2004.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I've been a one man business now for 7 years and it never seems to fail that something has to break right at the end of the season. Last year on the last week of cutting my trimmer crapped out. Today when I was doing leaves my blower crank bearing crapped out :dizzy: I won't get the parts until Thursday and I have this week booked with jobs. It's tough to justify spending $700 canadian for a new one when I can rebuild this one for $45. How many of you run into this problem?

2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

my back pack and one of the push blowers broke down

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Even as a one-man op, I would never have just one of an important tool...especially for fall cleanups.

4. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I would feel fortunate if this is the worst thing that has happened. I hope to get a spare back pack blower soon, but they are so expensive. I can't decide which to go with.

5. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I just spent $45 dollars because I was too cheap to buy another... :rolleyes: If I had two blowers and two trimmers and a spare zero turn I don't think I would be bitching :D

6. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I always try to have have a backup even if I have to rent one for the day. I lost a elcatric clutch on my exmark luckly one of the dealers had one on the shelf. I bought it and put it on and away I go. Good luck on getting it fix. :cool2:

7. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I never thought of renting...good idea, I will check the cost tomorrow.

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

HA .... Tell me about it

3 weeks ago Walker with 2400 hrs cracks a block, 5 or so days later another Walker with 2100 hrs starts leaking oil near the head stop using it till the gasket can be be replaced but gonna rebuild it over the winter any ways .... both are waiting for repairs .... Cause the Crew Cab blew some piston rings last week n the new (used) engine just got in today .....

O ya .... one of my newer Walkers 1400 hrs PTO box is grinding from last Thursday so its in the Shop till I can yank a replacement off a used Walker I got off eBay last winter with no engine or deck .... fore $300 it was hard to pass

Lucky I have other Walkers n Trucks ...n the slow season is here

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My fert spreader broke today with 1 week left to go this year and I have a head gasket that is leaking water on my JD. hold together a few more weeks baby, Im using the Jd to pull an aerator and a fert spreader and also I have a power flow bagger for it so she is getting a work out right now

10. barefootlawns

barefootlawns LawnSite Member

my blower broke down i think it is murphys law going into affect