1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

end of the season blues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by supercuts, Sep 4, 2007.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

anyone sick of mowing yet and waiting for fall cleanups so we know we can rest soon??? im at that point now, i cant wait to stop mowing. and thinking back to last year, we were mowing nearly into dec on the heavily fertlized lawns because it was so warm here. i know come march ill be dying to start mowing again, but it just seems like the mowing will never stop. i dont remember ever getting sick of plowing, possibly because of the quick $$$. oh yea, one of my guys quit today on good terms for a f/t with benefits jobs.
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I hear ya, usually I post this every year but we've been too busy mowing, Its very easy to pass up on a questionable lawn this time of year. But I added up the ones I skipped this time last year until the seasons end and it came to over 2k:hammerhead: I too greedy this year,lol. But yes it seems more like a choir than even work at this point. I had 4 calls for mowing this past week, "my mower is broke, bla,bla,bla" sorry booked full. But come Feb. I'll be sick of plowing for sure.
  3. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

its not that am tired of mowing yet, its the heat,8pm and its still 86 outside
  4. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

sick of no rain.. need rain so bad at this point.. havent mowed some lawns in 3 or 4 weeks... glad i dont do this full time.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

YES. I am sick of mowing... I get up and out the door in the morning and my first thought is "when will I be DONE today?" Every day, same old chit, over and over... What's a killer is that it's time to start on overseeding, aerating, and fertilizing again, but my schedule is so full and my time is so limited I'm pretty much in a fog most of the time.
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The weather here has not been to bad and I am still hoping for some rain to keep the grass growing for a little while longer. I am still quite motivated to cut grass. The time is running down quickly though.

I just saw a report about what the farmers almanac says and for the guys on the east coast, its supposed to be a nice winter. on average of 3 degrees colder then normal. Lots of snow... I'm really looking forward to this winter, but it will and can wait till the grass in over. Still have aeration and clean-ups to do to so its gonna be a busy time for me. The leaves are dropping on some lawns while others are growing like wildfire.
  7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I am not really tired of mowing, I am tired of PITA customers. One dropped today because I wouldnt move them from Wed. to Thurs. Forget them anyway, it was just a tiny $15 back yard only deal. I am kinda dreading fall though because it is gonna suck doing aerating and overseeding, plus mowing, plus going to school.

All in all, this has been a good year, added LOTS of new toys, and they are paying off. Next spring I am going to do my biggest-ever advertizing campaign, so, hopefully this time next year I WILL be tired of mowing:laugh:
  8. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

The growing season is winding down---ought to have our first frost here sometime in November---maybe earlier

Over the past two weeks I've picked up 5 new customers and will have them to the end of the season

Since it seldom snows here---there's no plowing to do---even if there was I don't know if I would do it--I can't stand cold weather

We had about 20 days of August with temps in the triple digit---hottest was 107 degrees----hot temps don't bother me---now, when the temp gauge dips below 40---I'm ready to go inside and build a fire in the fireplace and get a good hot cup of coffee!!!
  9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

leaves are dropping already?? enough that you need to do cleanups??
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Heck I am in Wisconsin and I still have a good 7 to 8 weeks yet to mow then another 3 or 4 of leaves. I would be sick of it but my wallet tells me to like it because of a 6 week brown out we just came out of 2 weeks ago. You would be right if I didn't have a nice summer break but I am working like its April right now. Talk to me in a month. Chin up, you could be behind a desk!:rolleyes: