1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

End of the season One-Time Cuts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOOLIE, Nov 19, 2004.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Been getting a lot of calls for these in the past week. Most of the year I don't deal with them, but right now its more do-able. They are proving to be a nice money-maker. People put the ol' mower away for the winter around Oct. 1, and OOPS! didn't realize the grass keeps growing for another 4-6 weeks. Plus with all the leaves they're willing to pay a premium price. Also a good opportunity to pick up a few clients for 2005.

Anybody else getting calls like this?
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I do them on all my yards anyway but i do get strays calling me for them. I usually cut them about 2-2.5 inches and bag them, charge them 2X what i would normally charge a house that size
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

when I get one time fall clean ups, I usually will mow the lawn one last time for them and do trimming including in the price.
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I only did one and it was yesterday. It turns out he was an old customer I had. He used to live in a very small house on a 1/4 acre and now lives in beautiful home on 1 acre. I will definately be sending him a proposal for next season and targeting the rest of the homes in his development.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes, and if they are not just trying to get a leaf cleanup out of you for the price of a grasscut, you can make some nice one time cash off them. this is what i do: price the cleanup, add a grasscutting fee. THEN, ask them if they have fertilized yet, and limed. i proceed to tell them why they should have it done NOW. and, i usually pick up a nice fee for : the cleanup, the lawncut, the fert, and the lime.
  6. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I never return these calls. Most were last cut in July. They just want it to look better till spring.
  7. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

You dont return calls to make money? Strange way to keep your income flowing. Remind me not to do it.