end of the season

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenworldh20, Oct 22, 2003.

1. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

hey,

the end is almost here...part of me wants the season to continue and part of me cannot wait for the whole thing to end!!!

seriously, does anybody feel this way? there is so much work out there....i mean the phone is still ringing and it is almost november!!!

but there are drawbacks...i have not really spent any real time with my son since he was born....when work does 'end', i am going to take one week and do nothing but waste the days away with matthew!

what do the rest of ya think?

brian

2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

we havent started with our winterizations yet, some people are still seeding yards!! plus its still short sleeve weather

this has been a slow year for us, all the rain we had this summer killed us on installs, but we've doubled our client base with repairs!! crazy!

3. I am ready for next season to begin.....actually our season never really ends...just slows from 30 repairs a day to about 10.....but the installs stay about the same...1-2 Landscape installs per week. So, to answer your question...yes I am glad it is almost winter....no more fish pond weekends.....no I am not glad the season is over...too much of a rush for me...I love the action.

4. greenworldh20

sprinkler dude...you are too crazy....

me, i need some r & r....

life went 100mph too many times this season.

we have some installs in westchester, orange and jersey and that should be a rap for the season. oh, yeah, a condo in rockland. but not much happening here. the temp got down to 35 degrees last night! brrr.

brian

5. I guess if I had to leave the office to do bids...sales.....followup.....run the crews....pick up parts....do part of installs.....do repairs.....paperwork.....like you do Greenworld...I would hate it too.

But....my system is smoother, therefore the rush for me is watching it all come together and get all the repairs done each day without pissing too many people off.

6. greenworldh20

sprinkler guy,

maybe you could send some of your techs out here...since there seem to be none that are good over here...there are very few 'big' irrigation companies over here. no one can find the techs..

seems like there are no 'american' people that want this kind of life style...if they are smart enough they will start there own business.

anyone who was 'good' that was employed by me has gone on to do their own thing.

anyway, i am getting off topic, but you get the point as to why i cannot wait for the season to end.

brian

7. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

After working a 40 hour a week job and then 30 to 35 hours on Irrigation I was getting burned out, remember I just got into this for a couple of extra bucks, but then got it in my head I could run this like a legitement business. In my market area you just cant focus on irrigation alone. you have to provide a supermarket of depts like mowing, landscaping, and turf management tasks.

This business is addictive.

Greendude if your looking for americans only your limiting your companys future

8. greenworldh20

not looking for only 'americans', but the hispanics in our area do not have legit paperwork, i-9s...

the ones that do are looking for year round work and/or pay. that is too much for me to burden...but that is what i am thinking...biting the bullet. i need people to drive and do service, drive a trailer, flag out homes for irrigation, go into people's homes and install irrigation timers, run wire, talk to the homeowner, tell them we need an outlet here, we need to put the timer there, i have to drill a hole here b/c i can't do it there...

ya know what i mean? i will take a black, white, red, yellow, green, blue, chinese, russian, italian...whatever if they can do that...not really that difficult, is it???????????????

brian

9. SuperShovel

SuperShovel LawnSite Member

I know how you feel Brian. You wrote basically exactly what I feel like every oct/nov. Your mind is ready for winter, ready to change gears, spend time with your family, but there is still work you can do. I fear winter, I wish the season never ended but at the same time, once it comes close I just want to get it over with and call it a year, change gears. Sounds like you have been overburdened this summer, like me, and a lot of us. It can burn us out. I think the trick is to get things organized in a way that the business doesn't consume our lives.

And I optimistically think that is possible. Some businesses fall into it automatically others need some growth and refinement and basically our business like everything else is either becoming increasingly organized and profecient or it's becoming crazy. And it's all to keep as much money coming in as possible.

I often think about how strange this profession seems to be sometimes, like how come some days I make $700 in a single day, and I try to make about $2000-2500/wk, and every week I think I can do it, sometimes I do, but somehow it's just not working, yet if I was making $10hr this whole time, (past 4yrs), with the 14/7 hours I've put in I would be a millionaire instead of scraping by. Ok that's exagerated :) Just my status so far, still working towards the profit part of my business lol. Anyone know what I mean?

Good luck this winter guys! Enjoy your time with your son Brian.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Brian - I agree with you on who you hire. With my comp being only repair and service, i can't send out someone that can not talk with or understand my clients. If they were strictly digging holes and backfilling on a commercial job that might be different. But if they can't speak the language they can't communicate with my clients. Communication in important. And if my tech was American and talked poorly, or didn't listen properly, he wouldn't be out there. It has nothing to do with race. It would be tough to send out a deaf mute person as well. How could they understand what the client wants? Or how would my clients understand them?