1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

End of the year / Christmas bonus...????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bustin88, Nov 26, 2007.

1. bustin88

bustin88 LawnSite Member
    from NW NJ

To ALL business owners one very quick and important question... After a long season with non stop work and just me and another guy what could I expect for a Christmas bonus? I am the "foreman" I really dont like that term, due to the fact there is only 2 of us, but with all my years exprience thats what I got. Any ideas? Thanks for the input, and good luck with the clean-ups.. only too many to count left..

Take it easy..
  2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I think if you did a good job and was profitable for your company you should receive about the same as a weeks check. Of corse this is only my opinion. The people that work part time for me I like to give about 150.
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

We try to give a weeks pay as well...but times are slow this year.
  4. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Hope your boss isnt on here! Back when I was a teenager milking cows before school I made the mistake of asking my boss if I was getting a Christmas Bonus about 2 weeks before xmas(I wanted to know for budgeting, and buying presents way late) and his response was "Well I was thinking about it just last night, but since you are asking, No."

Then again he was a cheap ass (and still is to this day, even now that he's loaded from selling parts of his inherited land....:gunsfirin).

Moral of the story... Dont ask your boss.
  5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

A bonus is what it is stated a bonus. I would not count on that type of income. You may get zero.
  6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Well all my guys will be paid thru the winter as a bonus. We will still be working from time to time, taking some classes, and having a our weekly meetings, but for the most part we will be on vacation. If you plan to keep guys, then you have to compensate them for their work. This crap aint easy and please remember that.....
  7. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

$100 cash for part-timers
  8. phntmfoot

phntmfoot LawnSite Member

Thanks for saying that. The same people who wont show any appreciation for employees this time of year are going to be the same ones crying about not being able to find help next year.
  9. jims lawn service

jims lawn service LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I'm giving my foreman 1200.00 this year. I realize I couldn't do near the amount of work we do without him.
  10. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

When i worked for a lco i got 2500 for the winter bonus. Then one year I got zero. I learned a valuable lesson it is what it is stated a bonus. It all depends on the kind of year your boss had.