End of the year opinion

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Broker, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

The year is winding down, how did everyone do compared to there goals or predictions. We did ok, we are not going to hit our goal for residentials but we did a few nice commercials which might wash it even. Hoping for a nice winterization season since some owners turned their systems on for the first time in a few years because of the heat.
  2. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

Install-wise I did far better than I projected. A big-time downswing in consumption spending is coming, we just don't know when. Last fall I was figuring it was going to be this year. Once again when the blueprints come in for winter bidding, I'll be aggressive.

I really had a lot of people trying to chisel me this year. This time I around not a single homeowner got the better of me, and neither did a GC. But I had to cut ties with a landscaper because he wanted more and more for less and less. No, it's not "almost the same" to rake back mulch and dig around plants in areas that could have otherwise been pulled.

This was also the first year where I did not have a single "loser" job. There had always been a few in the past where unforseen circumstances put them in the category of having been basically done at cost, especially considering opportunity time, but not this year. That had something to do with my selectivity, I think.

Also, relative to the amount of capital employed, even factoring in an ideal blowout season, install/bid work netted more than service by a decent margin. This comes down to productivity (not just in terms of pure grunt, but method) in the end. I see a lot of people on here who think there is no money to be made doing install. Not me--I'm certainly not spending 70-90 hours a week selling and starting/finishing jobs just for the sake of having a blowout customer.
  3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Phone is ringing off the hook , sold 10 jobs in the last 2 weeks. End of the year? Not here
  4. Broker

stating end of the year is a little premature but everyone should have a good grasp on the year as a whole by now. dgi: sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Md we are at full capacity right now too with installing 11-13 residentials per week which we should maintain until the end of october.
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We are doing better in gross sales this year as well. And my expenses should be about the same or lower, except for my new truck!! All service work again except one install we are doing right now and one add on of 3 zones. Winterizations are going to be huge this year for us. Between 4 companies I should have an additional 200-300 from last year. Plus all the new clients we picked up through the year.

I took on the install and add on because we were slow. As soon as I said yes to them our phone was busy again. It always eems to get busy right before blow out season. But is dead during August.
  6. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

At this point, most everything is set. In my experience, the demand from homeowners at this time of year is almost nothing compared to earlier in the year. The rest of the install work is sub work and planned out well in advance. I have picked up a few jobs in the past few weeks, and will probably get a few more. Unorganized GCs are always good for a job or three this time of year where they're willing to pay good money to get it done right away because the sod crew is just around the corner. Unlike some markets where the installers get booked up and people are looking well ahead of time to get in a contractor's queue, around here this is ALWAYS someone who within a week or two will be able to install something that resembles an irrigation system.
  7. I did about as expected...I wanted to gain 100 clients this year and I gained approximately 110.

I sold my Arizona business..which I wanted to do.

I hope to do 200 blowouts this season with my customers, Dana's overflows, some lawn guys clients, some referrals and some picked up here and there. I am happy...but worried about winter of course.

Overall I am happy and thankful for people like Dana that helped me get through the first spring/summer in a new and different land!
  8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Could have done better here.The dry conditions really started to take it's toll.Looks like we may be getting a lot of lawn repair jobs though.
  9. sps2868

sps2868 LawnSite Member
    from ATL, GA

My little company has has grown 400% since this time last year. Being only my second season, I consider that good. I had to hire a worker in May and have had the luck to kep the same one employee since then. I have had to purchase a Pipe Puller and a utilty body truck, and we are stil showing a great profit.

We went from 75-80 customers 2004 YTD, now we 300-325 YTD.
    Last year did 15-18 installs YTD, now we have done 50-55 YTD.
    We are still the only irrigation contractor within a 20 mile radius that answers the phone. (weekends included).
    I expect next YTD I will be somewhere near550-650 customers.
    :dizzy: :dizzy:
  10. Broker

Good for you SPS keep up the growth, since you are the only one returning calls make sure when you leave your estimates that you don't forget any money on the table, lol.