Endless summer hydrangeas

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by grassmasterswilson, Aug 6, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I've got some 1.5-2 year old endless summer hydrangeas that are doing pretty good.

They appear to be dropping a little and I wonder if it is because the blooms are too heavy for the stems. Should I deadhead the blooms as they lose color to prevent them from dropping?

2. FrostCreek

FrostCreek LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if it will work, but here's my suggestion:

Might you use some twine or string as support? Gently tie around drooping stems to stems on the opposite side of the plant?

Just trying to help. Good luck!

3. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Yes, July is the time. But better late than never.

Dave...

4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Thanks guys. Here is a pic a took a few weeks ago. I have been able to fertilize and keep them watered to get some green into the leaves. They are also showing a bunch of buds up and down the stems.

I was thinking of deadheading all the blooms in hopes of getting some weight off the thin stems. I've read mixed reviews on how to prune. I'd like them to get some size, So I wanted everyone's thoughts.

image.jpg

5. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

I have some endless summer's too and mine are also drooping. I was wondering the same thing.

6. FrostCreek

I can tell you that if you prune down too low, you'll be cutting out next years flower buds. . .

7. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Endless Summer Flowers have ended... Having blossoms,,, even blossoms that droop to the ground is better than no blossoms at all...
    I supported peonies with a short section of decorative plastic fence from the box store which offered enough support halfway up the stem to keep peonies off the ground... I'm thinking along those lines next year for the clients... My hydrangeas do not fall/droop when they receive morning sun only...

9. FrostCreek

Yeah my peonies are always rife with huge blooms that makes the stalks sag; but my hydrangeas do just fine.

I'm wondering if its just an issue because those hydrangeas are still young, the wood just isn't thick enough?

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Those hydrangeas look lonely and could use some landscaping around them, see if you could upsell that.

The also look underfed. Mine up here are 3 ft tall with lush green leaves and thick stems. And this is all new growth this year and up north here, they die back all the way every year.