1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

enemployment rate=competiton?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fearthedeere, Apr 1, 2004.

1. fearthedeere

fearthedeere LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering, do you think the unemployment rate and a slow economy is fueling the rate at which guys are getting into the mowing business? Do you think that once employment goes back up that a lot of these newbies will sink out of the business?
  2. tedk

tedk LawnSite Member

i don't. i think they are all here to stay. every last one of them.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is so funny you think this because just today I was talking with a guy thinking about doing lawn care until a good job comes along. So yes, I do feel from the unemployment that a lot are doing this lawn care year.
  4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

1 st question: Definete Yes.
    2nd question: A large percentage will stay.

I mentioned this in a thread earlier this week in a discussion about scrubs, newbies, work cheap types etc being legit competition, many don't believe they are as their businesses don't get effected by cheap competition somehow, mine does though...mowing etc is very easy to get into, perfect for those wanting fast dollars, they come in cheap a lot lowball each other out of their market though, and winters knock em out, but a fresh batch come in....
  5. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

The question to ask is: Are you taking up a lawnmowing business because you can't find a job or...you are wanting to make extra money and be your own boss?

The unemployment rate is 5.6% the last I heard. The economy is growing and the unemployment rate is the lowest it's been in years.
  6. bugspit

7. bugspit

see jt5019 post on the economy. 4.1%
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

come to Michigan and look at our unemployment rate. There has been so much outsourcing that the governor put a cap on how much work can be outsourced in our state. Right now our rate is 7.3%

Heck just today 3,200 teachers were laid off in Detroit

Kind of weird that the last time our rate was this high was back when the first Bush was President

CHAINSAW13 LawnSite Member

I too live in Mich. and the unemployment rate definitely affects the lawn maint. in my area. Everytime the Big 3 starts laying off, the shop rats come out of the woodwork! Everybody and their brother gets a mower and heads out to make a little extra beer money. They undercut our prices and do a crappy job but because our area is so automotive oriented alot of people are willing to put up with the work because of the union solidarity thingy. The other problem is that alot of people are new to the hiring of lawn care and don't really know what type of quality to expect. So they get the cheapest price (and usually the worst work) then when they're not happy or something goes wrong, they think that everyone in the industry is the same as the first jokers they hired. This is what seperates "the men from the boys"! We have to become teachers and put forth the extra effort to help our industry. Take the extra time to point out to potential customers what they will be getting by hiring you instead of some yahoo. Always charge what you consider to be a fair price, do quality work and don't worry about anyone else.
    As far as the unemployment rate goes, the government only considers those who are able to draw unemployment benefits not the people whose benefits ran out or those of us who can't even draw unemployment.
    So to all the new guys out there.... Learn the business and do quality work or The Man Called CHAINSAW will turn you into sawdust!
    Good luck to all this season,
  10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

well said chainsaw!