eng speed

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ProMo, Mar 31, 2002.

1. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my turf tracer hp is not giving a good cut blades are sharp belts are tight i think its low on engine speed my father in law is a mech but he doesnt work on kaw hes a kohler man wondering how to crank up the speed a little its 18 mo old and should be cutting better.The dealer i bought it from is incopetent my dixie was about 800 rpm low and they said it wouldnt make a diff (they arent sellind dixie anymore)everytime i go there for a part im given the wrong parts even the oil filter for exmark was wrong i prefer to do this myself father in law will loan me a tach to get it right i need the no load speed and were i can make the adj thanx

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Promo Lawn Service,

This can be a tricky one to answer. Be sure you check your RPM with a tach before you make any adjustments. Also check to make sure that it isn't another component causing you issue.

Check; choke, throttle cable for full throttle, make sure each cylinder is firing, dirty air cleaner, bad gas or dirty carburetor. If I have missed any somebody let us know.

The adjustment for the RPM is behind the air cleaner mount. There are 4 bolts that hold the throttle and choke plate in place. Loosen the 4 bolts, the side closes to the muffler is slotted. Lift up on the throttle/choke plate to increase RPM. MAXIMUM RPM IS 3600.

If this doesn't fix your issue I strongly suggest that you let a mechanic look at it. If you don't trust the one you have now let me know and we will find you one.

Thanks, Fred.

3. ProMo

thanks for the info ill get on it this weekend already cleaned the carb and changed plugs fuel filter etc only other dealer close to me has nil parking place that would be park av snapper boynton broke bolts putting shroud on my dixie when the coil went bad under warranty and said it wouldnt hurt it and my ex under warranty sold me an after market oil filter for my ex and said it was just as good (it didnt even fit)and so on.

4. ProMo

wow what a difference i removed tach from my dixie and i was at 2800 rpm thought something was up because the blade wasnt getting dull now they roar and im getting a great cut i think the dealer were i bought the mower has a bad tach beccause i had the same problem with my dixie and they said 600 rpm wouldnt make a difference there was only two bolts to losen and it got hard to slide right at 3600 you have what i look for in a machine good tech support

5. eXmark

You're right there is only 2 bolts, I'm glad you got it fixed.

I must of been thinking about our experimental engine that's 31hp and only burns 1 quart of gas a hour under 30% load. :D :D :D

Thanks, Fred.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Fred,

Can I do some field testing of that 31hp on my 36" metro?! lol :D

7. eXmark

MikeLT1Z28,

I'll see what I can do, anything for a Chevy fan.

Thanks, Fred.

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm a chevy fan, ford fan, exotic fan, a non-dodge fan...

hmm, 31hp, figure about 600lbs weight with the motor, peerless 5 speed... wonder what the 80% efficiency rating would be! lol