Engage blades....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by oOTurfmanoO, Mar 12, 2008.

1. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

On occassion, the blade enger does not work. For example, if I am mowing and have to disengage the blades to talk to a customer , pick up trash or the like, often times the blades don't engage reight away. I have to sit idle for a minute or 2 then try again. Sometimes I have to begin my forward motion then it engages.

Any solutions? Is this common?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

52" Scag Tiger cub
    23hp kawi/ FH680V
    1000 hours

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

PTO clutch is going bad. Some are adjustable and some are not.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto on the clutch. Just hope yours has an air gap adjustment. There should be 3 bolts on the underside that are the adjustment. You need a feeler gauge, I think the setting on most is .001 (ten thousandths).
    If it's adjustable, you may have to go around it several times with the feeler gague and tweeking the bolts to get the sides all the same.

Also could be a loose wire, but what you describe has usually been a clutch that needs adjusted for me. (too much gap between the clutch magnets)

6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

New switch! Just had to replace one on my 1000hr SZ!

7. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

I'd check the wire connections on the clutch itself. These get exposed to everything your mowing over & chopping up(ie..wet grass, dirt..etc). Plus tree limbs & other trash can play havoc on a wiring harness.

8. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

My money is on the switch too. If it were the air gap in the clutch, it would "click" and engage, but would slip. The switch is a common problem.

Q

9. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Get yourself a new PTO switch, usually about 20-30 bucks. If for some reason that's not it you will have it as a spare when it does fail.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My ole John Deere done that a few years ago and it was a bad battery...about 2 weeks after it started the battery went out....replaced it and cured that problem too.....coincidence or fix....I have no idea. At idle the clutch wouldnt engage but as I revved the engine it would engage ....Im guessing that as the motor revved up the voltage came up.

wayne

wayne