engaging blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by timmac, Jun 27, 2008.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

I have a hustler super z 60 27. I have always wondered if I should engage the blades at full throttle, 3/4 or 1/2. How do you do it? thanks

2. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

i heard or read somewhere that you should engage at 1/2 throttle... thats what i do, but cant remember where i saw it

3. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I would check the user's manual. Having said that I use all eXmark and have for a while now. My guess is that the PTOs are the same at least in design. If this is the case engage the blades at about half throttle. The PTO is like a clutch presure plate in a car (sort of anyway). The faster you engage it the more it slips as it trys to bring the blades up to speed which wears the disk etc. On the other hand the slower you do it the rougher it is on everything. I've had a belt come off engaging too slow once. Now as far as disengaging you want to have the rpms as slow as you can or the slower the better anyway since the PTO has a brake on it that will wear out if it engages when things are turning too fast. Having said all that I still suggest checking the manual.
    Ed

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I usually engage mine right before I hit the grass areas.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL. Yes, the rpms should be high enough not to cause a cough on the engine. This can be a bit harder on the crank (from the twist without the momentum) and other parts. What is more important than the ENgaging, is the DISengaging. This should always be done after allowing the engine and blades to idle all the way down to an idle. this is where the majority of the wear on a clutch occurs. It has to do with the braking of the clutch that wears on the air gap. The vast majority of this occurs on clutch shutdown.

6. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

When I bought my Z (which is basically a exmark with a toro deck) my dealer advised to throttle down to engage the PTO as having it running at full throttle will cause damage to the clutch over time.

I did it on all my mowers as a matter of habit after that.

7. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

On my Scag Wildcat 27 hp lc kawi, I set to almost 1/2 throttle then engage choke unitl engine starts to bog , then engage clutch. Without choke engine will die at lower throttle setting.

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Toro manual say engage at full throttle.