1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Engine Backfire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JOEWOOD, Apr 4, 2005.

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

At engine shut-down...Joe :cool2:
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

What kind of engine?? My Kohler does the same, try letting it cool down for a couple minutes before you shut it off. I usually let my mowers run on half or low throttle while I trim and shut them off after, usually solves the problem.
  3. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Yup - just what he said ^^^^^. Let is cool down for a minute or so at an idle before you turn it off. My Kaws will do the same thing.
  4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Because the engines are shut down by cutting the power to the spark plugs. The gas keeps on flowing into the engine and lights on fire without the ignition from the spark plugs.
  5. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

what is wrong about your mower back firing? does it hurt the motor or something or is it just the sound of the back fire?
  6. Grubville_Man

Grubville_Man LawnSite Member

My Kawasaki also does it at low idle, My dealer told me to increase the engine speed a little this will burn off the fuel more quickly at shut down. Where at low idle the fuel does'nt burn off as quickly causing it to build up and backfire. That was over a year ago and it has'nt done since.

Good Luck:
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Simply shut the engine off at FULL throttle and no more back fire! I don't want to risk shearing off the flywheel key with the backfiring. We have shut the units down at full throttle for many years and no problem so far.
  8. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

my kawasaki backfired the first couple of times i used it but it quit the more i used it
  9. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

let engine idle a minite ,then hit full choke it will stop in a second ,no air no nothing .
  10. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

thats a good way to foul out the plug(s)