Engine beak in....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Fatch, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Fatch

Fatch LawnSite Member

Would it be a good practice to change motor oil after the first few hours ( 5-10 hrs ) of break in or would this be considerd a waste????

2. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello,
    1/change oil within 1/2 hr of initial start up , to remove any un invited dust and to remove lube u applied to cam,lifters ,rockers, oil pump [ to assist in initial oil pump prime].
    2/change 10hrs
    3/then 25 hr interval [35hrs]
    4/then 25hr interval [60hrs]
    5/ asper your selected interval or factory manual
    6/ caution do not change over to synthetic oil, IT WILL NOT LET THE ENGINE BREAK IN PROPERLY, till after 100hrs upto 200 ok also.

kohler have mentioned to me some engines donot run in until occasionally 300hrs, but typically 75-200hrs
    Or if u prefer follow makers guide lines particularly if it involes warranty .
    tomo

3. Fatch

Fatch LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply will follow your recomendations for less wear and longer engine life.

Thanks Tomo

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Your engine manual should say something about changing the oil after the first 5-10 hours. You definitly should!

5. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

changed my oil at 5 hours. both engine and hydro on ztr to synthetic. Could not remove all from hydro system so changed again at 10 hours. Even at synthetic prices it's absolutly nothing compared to cost of a quality commercial grade machine
    JJK Homeowner

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Had you read your owners manual you may have seen where it's not recommended to change to synthetic oil until after a 50 to 100 hr. break-in period.

7. Restrorob

The one above was blurred from my excellerator.....

Eng. Break-in Syn oil.jpg

8. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

There is this _really neat_ article about motor oils, and,,,, Oh, well; never mind.:dancing:
    Sorry fatch; private joke.
    These guys on this forum know their stuff, and you can get the straight poop if you just know how to ask the right question.
    Your particular question is a pretty common one with a number of good, possible answers.

9. Restrorob

[​IMG] I really don't mind Jimbo, Someone may benifit from it.... :waving:

10. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Have done that on other engines with results worth repeating. Absolutly no problems on Kawasaki 17hp on JD lx277 after 8 years of use.
    JJK