Engine choice

Discussion in 'Vermeer' started by Vermeer, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Vermeer

Vermeer Inactive
    from Iowa

If you had the ability to pick a gas engine (Honda, Kohler, Briggs etc) in any piece of equipment what would your preference be and why?

What would be your choice in diesel? (Kubota, Deutz, Yanmar, Cat, Cummins, Deere etc.)
  2. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

kohler. Best by choice.
  3. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say cat for diesel but I have had excellent results with my duetz. One thing I like about the duetz is that there is no coolant. All there is to check is the oil.

What about Kawasaki for gas.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would pick Gas engines in this order: Kawsaki, Briggs Vanguard, Kohler, Wisconsin Robin, Honda. (I know the honda engines are decent but I just don't like them!)

Diesel Engines: CAT, Cummins, Yanmar, Kubota, Deutz. I have no experince with Deere engines. I would say for truck engines, the INTERNATION DT466 is a great motor! Cat C-7 tied with 5.9 cummins. All the truck engines have great warranties and are really heavy duty engines.
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Gas engines: Kawasaki, Briggs Vanguard, Kohler, Wisconsin Robin, Honda. (I know hondas are good but I just don't like em)

Diesel engines: Cat, Cummins, Yanmar, Deutz, Kubota.

Truck engines: (depending on chassis) International DT466, Cat C-7 tied with Cummins 5.9 JMO
  6. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

For Gasoline Engines
    If you asked this question 20 years ago I would answer with Kohler K series
    If you ask this question 10 years ago I would answer Honda
    But as of today I would say Briggs is as good as they get...

not to mention that you can still get Service and Parts for a Briggs just about on any street corner.

Mike AKA Partsangel
  7. pondfishr

pondfishr LawnSite Member

What about the Generac does anyone have an opinion about the GTH-760
    27 HP?
  8. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

My pick for a gas engines would be Kohler,wisconsin,and briggs.I never liked honda engins because the parts places here charge to f**king much for the parts and half the time they dont have the sh*t for them crap engines.And for diesel I would go with Deutz,Hatz,isuzu,International,Chevys old 6.2 and the old 3206 and 3208 Cat.I got a 3206 in my C70 that someone droped in there but it runs good and does`nt burn a drop of oil.now it does mark it spot but hey it dont burn it
  9. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

for gas engines, Briggs. in the rental stores i worked in, i got briggs whenever possible. sure, they had their problems, but it was always easy to fix them. parts way cheaper and easier to get. and in some instances, i could buy 2 briggs for what one honda or kaw costs.
    diesel....Cummins. they have proved them selves as far as im concerned. the 3.9 and 5.9 just seem to run forever. i know case calls them a case engine, but the 3.9 in all the skid steers for the 1845C on up is just a good engine. they havent really had any bad engines in big truck, either. i just remember Cat and the 3208...they just wouldnt admit it was a bad engine.
  10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a ohv kawi on my mower for 5 years, I run double blades on the spindles and have had zero problems. My rototiller uses an ohv briggs and that has been very good also. I have had problems with the older non-ohv briggs

no experience on diesel.