1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

engine choices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PTSolutions, Mar 14, 2008.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

hey guys, well the new season is almost here and im ready to pull the trigger on a new mower.

ive decided to go with an 07 model wildcat from my dealer with a 61" deck. we are prolly gonna keep our 48" ferris rider as well.

they have a 27hp kohler and a 30hp kohler.

the 30hp model- 8234
    the 27hp model- 7995

now, i know what you are all gonna say, get the 30!! normally i would always buy bigger than what i need, just in case, i hate buyers remorse "i shoulda gotten this, or that!"

but i really dont want to get it if i dont need it, i want to save as much as possible, with the way this season is goin to look according to gas etc...

im not just talking about the upfront cost difference, but also the cost of fuel consumption throughout the season.

i MAY put a bagger on it, but prolly not this season unless i find a used one for a good price.

what are your thoughts guys?
  2. YoungGun

YoungGun LawnSite Member

You asked a question then answerd it then asked and answerd again. ha

Get the 30! first off it will last noticabley longer because it wont have to be ran as hard to do the same work at the 27 at full boar!

better resale value

better investment all around!

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

There were/are some issues with the 30 though supposedly fixed,I think I'd buy the 27.I priced the same 27 HP at my dealer and they want over $9000.
  4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

you know second opinions are always worth more! lol.

after taxes im looking at about a $257 difference.
    resale value isnt really a factor here, as im gonna keep this mower till it falls apart probably. im gonna see if they can work a lil more with the price and ill let you guys know.

what problems were there with the 30hp?
  5. Kykutter

Kykutter LawnSite Member
    from ky

The 27hp. is plenty of power. All of my lawns are either fescue or bluegrass,never had a power issue. Suprised me really,even in heavy,wet lawns my wildcat has never bogged down not even a little.

I run the clamshell bagger in the fall and still no power issues.