Engine Choices

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ACER, Jul 20, 2002.

1. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

Does Exmark have any plans to offer new engines? I heard you were coming out with a turbocharged diesel in 2003. I have talked to people with the 27 hp diesel that say it is under powered with the 72" deck, just wondering if you were going to offer a larger engine like the 50 hp diesel that Dixie Chopper uses. I have also heard good things about the new 30hp Generac engine, how does your 31hp engine compare?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Acer,

Thanks for the post.

It's hard to remember a time when they aren't testing engines either current of prototype. All the testing data and comparisons are still being gathered and I am not certain of what engine changes will be available for next year.

As far as the 27 being under powered for the 72" deck I'm not so sure I would agree with that. If your talking about a finish cut on your average lawn it should perform just fine in most cases. If youÂ’re talking about doing some brush hogging then you may want more power. Personally I'd probably just solve the brush-hogging dilemma by putting on a set of low lift blades.

As far as a 50-hp diesel I am reasonably confident we are not planning to add this engine to our line up at this time.

Thanks

Terry

3. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

Aw come on, you can never have enough power. Seriously thanks for the support you give. Another engine related question, I have a Metro Hp with a 17hp Kawaski. When it comes time to replace this engine what are my choices? I was thinking of going up to a 23hp Kawaski or Kohler. Would this be a problem? Thanks

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Acer,

As far as a replacement I would recommend that you stick with the 17 Kaw for a couple of reasons. First we've never tested the PTO clutching system of your machine on anything larger than 17 hp and don't know how it will react. Second there is not an electric start option for the Metro HP which you would need for anything larger. I'm not sure I'd want to try to pull the rope on a 23-hp recoil start even if they did offer it.
    Thanks

Terry