Engine Crane for Zero Turn Mower Jack?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by elamey, Jul 4, 2005.

1. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

Any of you guys ever use an engine crane (cherry picker) for a mower jack? I'm trying to improve my processes and it seems to me if i'd hook an engine crane to the front two casters ( in a solid spot, not so I would break something ) I could lift the mower up and have all the room I need underneath? No car ramps/atv ramps etc...

Anyone ever do this? Thoughts??

2. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen it done b4. Just put jackstands under incase the lift breaks.

3. Jimmy Williams

Jimmy Williams LawnSite Member

I thought about doing this same thing by attaching I-bolts at each corner and lifting the whole mower for better access. Haven't tried it yet. I definitely think the jack stands are a good idea for safety reasons.

4. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 LawnSite Member

Using my engine hoist is a daily thing for me this season. I can lift the mower plenty high in the air to get to the blades without laying on the ground. I don't bother with jack stands because they don't reach high enough anyway. I use two heavy duty chains attached to the center hook on the hoist and hook the chains to the front of the frame. I also use the hitch to lift the back end up to adjust belts and work on the engine. :)

5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't already have an engine hoist, I'd suggest you look at the Ballard SuperJack. I messed with a floor jack and stands for two years and just bought the SuperJack. Some of the best money I've "invested", not spent.

Jim

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It works just fine. I use a 2 ton engine crane for many lifting jobs in the garage. Just make sure the lifting points are safe and use jack stands or wood blocks... and never work under any unsupported load.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I just put a steel car ramp on the side of the trailer gate and drive one front wheel up.
    Safe, portable and simple.

I still have to get on the ground, but most mowers will not lift any higher than I'm lifting without the rear of the machine contacting the ground. Not all, but most.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Spend the money and get a jungle jack. Its worth it for your back. :D Trust me.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I can't believe there are still some people who respond on here that say they don't use stands or something to support the load. Since this site has started, there have been more than a handful of posts on here about people getting seriously hurt and/or even dying from equipment falling on them while working on them. These are actual articles and stories that took place right at that time that were posted on here. Getting under something that is just hanging in the air like that is just foolish. Common sense will tell you the potentials involved. All it takes is once. I've said it before - numerous times, and I'll say it again....please Please PLEASE secure your machine befor crawling under or around it.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've used one for about a year and love it. Much better access than ramps or the handier jacks they sell. They're not too much $$ either. I use a stranded cable enclosed in plastic so it doesn't scratch the paint.