Engine for WB - what's 2 Big?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by carcrz, Oct 13, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'm cleaning out the storage unit & came across a w/b sidewalk edger that the motor is locked up on. It has a 3.5 hp B & S motor on it. I also have a brand new Honda 6.5 hp engine sitting in the garage at the in-laws that he said I can have because it won't work for his project & it's in his way. What's 2 big of a motor to have on a belt driven walk edger? I think I may have a little Tim Allen in me on this project. I'm thinking this should easily be able to handle the 3 blades I was running on it before, probably a couple more even if I want to.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can get it on there the Honda will work fine. But before you do I would take the plug out of the Briggs and see if it cranks over. It may have oil in the cylinder if it was laying over anytime during storage. This will cause you to think it's locked up. Might be an easy fix?

3. carcrz

I pulled the plug out before she went into the dark hole last year & it still wouldn't budge.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen just about all those shows, I say Gooo for it !

5. carcrz

It's either a high powered sidewalk edger or it's going to be one heck of a high powered margarita mixer :laugh: