Engine heat reduction

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have noticed most air cooled lawn mower engines always have a black shroud covering them. Would painting the cover or shroud around/near the engine white in color aid in keeping the engine temperature lower?

It would seem like it would.

Anybody else have to much time on their hands?

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I don`t know, but I would think that no matter what color it was, the heat from the engine is just as hot. I think that when you talk about the color black, it absorbs the heat from sunlight, which is different than heat from engine. just my opinion My shrouds are a light grey in color on the exmarks.

I wish I did. It seems even during the winter months, I still do not have enough time for everything.:D

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The amount of radiating heat from the sun would be minimal to the point of non existent. Its more important to keep the dirt cleaned out of the there so that the air can circulate freely. Air cooled motors run hotter than a liquid cooled motor. They are designed to take higher temps. Be sure to remember that air cooled motors need a oil designed for them. Regular motor oil like you put in your car will break down easier in a aircooled motor. The oil the small engine shops sell is formulated for these little engines.

I did compare recently 2 small engine oils to Mobil 1 synthetic. They have the same rating. So you can use the Mobil 1, and add more life to your car(ok, mower).

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

65hoss:

Keeping the dirt cleaned from around the cooling shrouds and the type of oil you use is very important..:confused: I think he was referring to painting the shroud white as opposed to black, thats what I got out of it. Thats why I was trying to explain about the colors

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

65hoss:

Keeping the dirt cleaned from around the cooling shrouds and the type of oil you use is very important.. I think he was referring to painting the shroud white as opposed to black, thats what I got out of it. Thats why I was trying to explain about the colors

I know, that is why I posted the 1st sentence. I then decided to say what is MORE important.

6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

I switched to the Mobil 1 synthetic oil last season to improve the innards of my motor, I was curious if the sun radiation could also effect the temperature. I was hoping to squeeze another degree or two by "shading" the engine.

Looks like I should skip the white paint job then.