Engine Heating the Grass when parked

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by PKS, Jun 28, 2007.

1. PKS

PKS LawnSite Member

Recently I demo'd a 3066 SuperZ at my house. I am new to this type of machine. As such, I parked it on the lawn a few times while letting the engine idle so I could survey the machine and the cutting we had done.

A few days later, we noticed patches of dried out grass that had a very distinct shape. A little bit like a V. Each of these patches, as since died.

After thinking things over, I realized the V shaped patches were from the engine's heat blowing down onto the grass. That's an easy problem for me to avoid in the future.

My question are:
    1) has anyone else observed this problem?
    2) has anyone installed a heat shield under the engine to prevent this?
    3) did I find a quirk that other ztr users have known about?
    4) did I do something all newbees do?:hammerhead:

Thank you.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

This can happen in drier times of the year, I would try to not park on the lawn while the engine is running, if you do idle it down.
    We have installed some shields in the past.
    Talk to your dealer, they can get one installed for you.
  3. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

i used to have this problem and installed the shields and it solved my problem.
  4. RobinM

RobinM LawnSite Member

My FasTrak 54/20 is burning the grass, too. The areas are the size and shape of the muffler. It looks like it's doing it when I slow down to turn..... I don't stop while I'm mowing. I've talked to my dealer who then talked to his rep...... some mufflers are faulty and overheat. He'll test mine and we'll install the heat shield... when it comes out in a month, or so.

In the meantime, I have many burned spots on my lawn that I will have to repair and will have many more before this is corrected. Since this had been an issue with other models for several years, it would have been nice for Hustler to make sure it didn't happen with the new ones.

So, a warning might be in order: Don't go slow or stop, or you'll risk burning your grass. :confused:
  5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am not aware of this happening at all in the new FasTraks, we use a different exhaust system with these mowers compared to older models.
    And it is not going to happen while turning going slow, the only time it did it before is when a machine was parked at full throttle blowing hot air on to the ground while you moved something or stopped to talk to someone.
  6. RobinM

RobinM LawnSite Member

My dealer said it was his Hustler rep who told him about the mufflers and the shield. He said the shields should be out in a month, or so.

It might not be happening when I turn, I'll have to check that. I don't remember stopping that often, though. It might be happening when I stop to throttle down and engage the mower. It is definitely the muffler causing the burns, I stopped to put my glasses on and the grass got scorched in the size and shape of the muffler.

My dealer said he'd come out and test the temperature of the muffler. In the meantime, I'll have to avoid stopping on the grass, I guess.

7. On-Z-Go

On-Z-Go LawnSite Member

I have a FasTrak 18/48 purchased in May, and have had the lawn burn marks from stopping, picking up a stick, and then continuing. I had the same problem with my Super Z before I had the heat shield installed. I did not think the FasTrak would have the problem due too the covering around the muffler, but it does. The burn mark is a rectangular shape. I do have the power bagger, so I don't know if that is causing less air flow. Now that I know it does it, I just don't stop on the grass, but a shield would be nice.
    StripeAbove18 likes this.
  8. Bingopin

Bingopin LawnSite Member

This thread and some others regarding the burned/scorched grass issue is leading me away from a Fastrack for my first ZTR. I just don't want to deal with dead spots in the lawn.
  9. gotdesl

gotdesl LawnSite Member

Same here... and that is my only complaint so far. On my 18/48, it is leaving a burn mark about 14" x 4" anywhere that I stop, even if it is just for 15-20 seconds. So there is a fix on the way?
  10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    Check with your dealers for a heat shield.
    If they are not aware of it they can contact there service rep with us and the dealer can get one installed on your mower.