Engine help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Natural Impressions, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

:confused: :confused: I have 2 bobcat mowers, 36" & 48" both with a kawasaki fb460v eninge 12.5 hp. I was servicing the enginge myself because I was having problem with the carb on the 48". I pulled the carb off and blew out the whole assembly with air, changed spark plug and oil with filter and reassembled and now runs even better then when I got the eninge. So I figuired I would do the same to the 36" ( even know I didnt have much problem with it). Well the idle is all messed up. When I start the 36" with choke at full it starts right up and sounds ok. When I put throttle all the way down, still idle doesn't sound bad. But when I try to put the throttle up it revs up and down choke opens and closes and then it stalls. I seems like the engine is starving for gas. Did I completely clog up the carb? Should I pull the carb off the carb assemlby, open that up and clean it out? I don't want to go any further and creat more damage until someone possibly give me a little info on this. I would really appreciate anyone help. Thanks:drinkup:

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest removing the carb. and do a complete tear-down and clean with a spray type carb. & choke cleaner making sure to spray through all passages and jets paying attention to number 26, Then blow through all passages and re-assemble.

FB460 Carb. break-down.JPG

3. Natural Impressions

thanks for the advice

4. Natural Impressions

I just pulled the carb apart blew everything out clean and yes it did seem that the main jet was clogged. I put everythign back together and it is running better. Thank you. I do have one other thing now. When I open the pilot screw the mower is running fine but as is runs the pilot screw slowly closes itself causing the idle to rum bad. Is there a way to fix this? I really appreciate your help.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Stretch the spring on the pilot screw so it will put more tension on it.

6. Natural Impressions

Thanks.....I will have to purchase a spring because there isn't one. Thanks again