Engine Hours vs. clock hours ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guido, Aug 11, 2000.

1. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Okay may be a foolish question but here goes:

I got into an arguement today with a buddy trying to convince him that equipment running hours are different than just an hour on a clock of run time. I think I'm right, pretty damn sure at least, but why, and how??

He'll believe me once I can back it up with some real explanation. I figure it has something to do with what RPM's your running at, and maybe counts hours my the firing pattern?? Thanks in Advance guys!!

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Guido, you need a war to fight.:)

3. Guido

Charles I know, we're a bunch of construction workers getting antsy (spelling) sitting around the shop doing equipment maintenance. It came up while we were arguing about why he didn't change the oil in a bobcat after I told him to do it for a week now. He used it as an excuse, but I'm curious now so I can back it up if it ever comes up again. I don't know if we need another war, but I guess we can go take over a small country or something, I don't know just something to do!! Just kidding!!

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

An hour is an hour, doesnt matter to the equipment whether its at full governor stop or at idle. The clock starts when the ignition is on (or the magneto becomes energized) and stops when the key is off. Unless you happen to be from Springfield IL and have a custom Ferris ;)

5. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

TLG- You beat me to it. That brought back some memories.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

guido--I'm betting on you but give us the other guys point of view! hey, einstein might have been wrong!

GEO

7. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

Guido,

I tend to agree with the others. A hour is an hour. Not dependent on RPM's. I do see where you are coming from though. A person might think that as an engine runs slower, the hourmeter runs slower. And that the faster it runs, the faster the clock.
    When I used to be a farmer, I kept time by the hourmeter. Never wore a watch. And it always checked out against the clock in the pickup when the day was done.
    As a sidenote, some equipment have two hourmeters. For example combines always have two meters. One for engine time, the other for the threshing machine.

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Guido, this is unusual but I disagree with you this time. The same hour meter is on both my mower and the ambulances at work. The meter moves at the same speed idling or driving 75 mph (the truck), it's based on the time the engine is running, not work load or RPMs. If not it would be spinning when we are driving fast!

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not the rpm's (like the electric meter on your house) BUT.... The voltage (through the regulator) CAN affect the hour meter slightly! This happens the same way a tape deck MIGHT play a little bit faster in your CAR than in your neighbor's house or your house, etc. It sounds crazy, but true.

10. Guido

But I still swear that someone told me that when I was a little tyke, and it stuck with me. When I go back to work next week, I'm going to try it on our street sweeper. It has regular milage to track the truck, but an hour meter for the aux. engine. I could swear equip hours were'nt as fast, but I guess I'm wrong. I got an e-mail this morning though from someone here that agrees with me, but is trying to find something in writing. We'll get to the bottom of this!!