1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

engine knock

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by cutting edge, Feb 14, 2002.

1. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

Last week I went out to crank my 2000 Lazer HP 18 Kohler (it had been sitting for 13 days) and I noticed a knocking in the engine. It only had 471 hours on it. I called my dealer and they said to bring it in. I left it with them the next day for a few hours. When I came back the mechanic in the shop said that something was stuck (valve or a lifter) and that it just needed to run.

Is it normal for a valve or lifter to stick? I have been noticing blue smoke when I first crank-up and when I throttle it up from an idle. Is this normal? My warranty runs out next month, did my dealer diagnose the problem correctly or am I going to be stuck with the bill when the warranty runs out?

Thank you,
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I wouldn't say that a "knocking" in your engine is normal but it does happen and a several years ago it was actually common. More often than not it will be something with the lifters. The noise and the blue smoke may or may not be related so I would have the unit inspected very closely. Even if it's not something covered by warranty it is better to know about it now before the heavy spring growth begins.

As far as warranty protection, Kohler can be very accommodating when it is justified. Generally most defects have already occurred before you get 471 hours but you never know. By bringing the unit in now you are definitely helping yourself if a defect is found after the warranty period has expired.

3. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

Thank you for replying.