Engine life span

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dannyc33, Sep 4, 2003.

1. dannyc33

dannyc33 LawnSite Member
    from indy

I'm interested in buying a 27hp Kaw Liquid Cooled gas engine. I know that air cooled gas tend to last about 2000-3000 hours and ac desiel last about 4000-500 hours. I herd that lc desiel will last around 7000 hours. So I was wondering how long would the lc gas last?

Anyone have any idea?

2. dannyc33

dannyc33 LawnSite Member
    from indy

common someone must have some idea
    :blob2: :blob1: :blob4: :cry:
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

if ac gas =3000, and ac deisel=5000, and lc desiel=7000, then i would say about 4000-4500.
  4. dannyc33

dannyc33 LawnSite Member
    from indy

thanks, noboby seem to want to reply,
    do you have experence with an lc?
  5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I do. Kaw 20HP L/C. 2000 Hours and counting. No problems yet (besides the routine maintenance)
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You may want to keep things in perspective. Even if the motor only lasts 3,000 hours, at $50/hour, which is a respectable profit rate for the motor to yield, that's $150,000 the motor will give you as a return on your investment. If you look at these figures, I'd forget worrying about how much more you will get from the motor......
  7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The LC gas should last about 50% longer than a similar AC engine before needing rebuild/replacement. This assumes that the engine receives the maintenance necessary to make it last as long as possible.
  8. Where did you find an Air cooled diesel?

Dollar for dollar the costs for the engines all even out in the end.
  9. Duitz
  10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

On a related note, lets pretend one of us does not take as good a care of an aircooled engine as we should have.

Approximately what would a 23 Kawasaki air cooled engine cost to rebuild or replace.?? $2000 sticks in my mind from somewhere......

Have any of you put a new engine in a mower with a couple thousand hours on it?? If you have, I suppose the mower itself still was in good working order and worth keeping?

What I'm trying to get at is the cost/benefit pros/cons of replacing a worn out engine on a mower thats been around the block a few thousand times.