Engine Life

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Raven, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Raven

Raven LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I was reading the thread "Oil Changes" and was wondering how many hours you expect to get out of your engines. There was a post by someone, and unless I read it wrong, he was impressed that his engine was holding up at 2000 hours.

I average about 900 hours a season and changed my engine at the beginning of this season after 4 seasons (3,686 hours). The engine before that had slightly over 4,000 hours on it. My dealer gladly sells me the engines, but thinks I'm wasting money.

2. SLIMDAWG1

SLIMDAWG1 LawnSite Member

YO,RAVEN SEEMS LIKE YOU KNOW HOW TO MAINTAIN AN ENGINE WELL ENOUGH. IF I WERE THE DEALER I'D RATHER SELL YOU A NEW MOWER INSTEAD OF AN ENGINE TOO. IF YOU DON'T NEED ONE DON'T BUY ONE,NOBODY WANTS THOSE BILLS.KEEP UP THE MAINTENANCE AND YOU KEEP UP THE PROFITS.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I will be very disappointed if I don't get in the neighborhood of 4,000 hours from my Kohler 25. If I get 1,500 hours out of my Kawasaki single cylinder engines I'm happy though.

4. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

There was a thread awhile back "2000 hour club" - not many responses around 4000 hours, and most were Dixie Choppers (I don't own one, but I think the oil coolers and extra filtering must contribute to longer life).

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

u got me thinking now[or trying]:) .
    wonder if theres a variation of that donaldson filter for our trucks.

6. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Yes, Donaldson makes precleaners for various truck/automotive applications - take a look at their site.